Author Topic: new build  (Read 19929 times)

lew wetzel

new build
« on: June 30, 2008, 01:29:19 AM »
since i am done with the transitional rifle and it is sold i am starting one for myself.the triggerquard and buttplate is from reaves goehring and the single tigger is a bivins.i made the thumb piece and the toe plate i got off e-bay.i have an entry pipe but it needs cleaned up and i still have to get the thimbles and lock.i am going to make my own sideplate.this will be my first swamped rifle.the barrel is a 50cal,"b"-44in long.and it is sooo light compared to the straight barrels i have used.the buttplate i made was going to go on this rifle due to the narrow butt and the one i got off reaves is 1/2" to short but is soft so maybe i can pound it out for what i need.after i screwed up the other one yesterday i dont have much of a choice.
  the barrel was already inlet and the stock is already shaped except for a few minor things.not sure if i will try to carve or engrave it,may do alittle wire inlay though.

karwelis

Re: new build
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 07:52:33 PM »
hey lew where did you get the parts? or was it a kit? i have something similar. being shippid to me now as we speak. i have an isaac haines with a 44" C wieght swamped barrel from tip curtis. i cant wait! tell you what post progress pics and so will i.

karwelis

lew wetzel

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 11:03:50 PM »
karwelis,i have been gathering them from here and there.t,quard,but plate got from reaves goerhing and the bivins trigger i got at the log cabin.i made the thumb piece  and the toe plate i got off ebay.i am making the side plate and all i have to get is the lock and r.r thimbles.i have an entry pipe but it needs cleaned up.would love to buy a kit gun but so far i have been piecing mine together.i also have a jeager rifle i have all the parts except the stock and triggers.everything else is from r.e davis..yes i will keep posting pics as i move along.here is a pic of rifle i just finished and sold to my stepdad...

karwelis

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 05:24:20 AM »
looks good! i'll start posting this weekend or first of next week! silly me i'm doing 2 rifles at once.

karwelis

lew wetzel

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 02:53:41 PM »
karwelis,well now you have double the pics to post.i had three going at once and at the rate i was going ,it made alot more sense to just do one and get it over with.the rifle i sold my stefather was going to be my deer gun for this year,he really liked it and kept on me to sell it to him so i caved.hope i can have this other gun done before deer season rolls in.i have an inline with a scope,but i havent even shot it since i started building flinters.i will let the kids use it if they want to hunt with me this year.

karwelis

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 05:42:19 PM »
lol,,,,,,,,i guess its not the smartest thing having more than one rifle at a time going,but i have a great workshop with a lot of room and i work on my patio when weather permits. i live at 7000 ft. and we still have snow here in the higher elevations. heres a pic of my yard 3 monthes ago. i mean heck it snowed here memorial day weekend for 4 days

karwelis

black kettle

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 06:04:39 PM »
That has to be the greatest and most well equipped shop I've ever seen
but it looks like the air conditioner is set a bit low. ;D
Arlin

karwelis

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 07:19:51 PM »
my rolling work bench was in the workshop and now its back out side,,, heck i'll see about posting a pic or two of my rolling work bench this after noon.

karwelis

lew wetzel

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 08:43:58 PM »
im just finishing loading the truck with my portable workbench,heading over to my buddies shop so we can work on some rifles together.i have a craftsmen workmate that i revamped so i could chuck up a gun.
  love the view karwelis,hunt right off the porch!!!

karwelis

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 09:30:37 PM »
right now i hunt coyotes in the back yard. next winter its gonna be bears

lew wetzel

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 03:03:29 AM »
karwelis,do you have any of those coyote hides.my parents are building a cabin at the property and my stepfather wants me to start getting hides.a bear rug would be real nice too.hint,hint....

Offline gibster

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 03:21:11 AM »
Lew - Your Step-Dad ended up with a nice looking rifle.  Keep the pictures coming on the new build.  I really enjoy seeing and hearing about the rifles that are being built.  Where I live, there doesn't seem to be much interest in this type of stuff.  I set up at most of the local gun shows with some of my collection of originals to try to  pull things from out of closets, but there isn't much out there.  Every now and then someone will bring something interesting in.  These rifles generate lots of conversation, but it seems that the ones that shoot only want the new in-lines.  Anyway, thanks for the pictures and keep us posted.
Eric

karwelis

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 03:46:59 AM »
hey lew,
i dont have any pelts right now, but i can start saving some. thought i would show you a couple of pics of the out side work shop. spent a few hours today foolin around with a GPR 50 cal flinter.

karwelis

hey gibster where do you hail from?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 03:48:20 AM by karwelis »

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 04:53:23 AM »
im just finishing loading the truck with my portable workbench,heading over to my buddies shop so we can work on some rifles together.i have a craftsmen workmate that i revamped so i could chuck up a gun.
  love the view karwelis,hunt right off the porch!!!

Hey Lew,
I have a Workmate too ('cept mine says Black and Decker on the side ???) which will probably become my main workbench if and when I go back to school until I can get a proper one. I would be interested in seeing how you modified yours if you have a picture.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline gibster

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 05:21:10 AM »
Hey Karwelis - Like the view from your shop.  I'm in NW Arkansas.  I enjoy it here, just wish there was more activity with the front stuffers.
Eric

karwelis

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2008, 06:28:40 AM »
lol,,,,,,,where in arkansas? i spend time in mountian view ak. and i have friends in mountian home.

lew wetzel

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2008, 01:03:49 PM »
thanks gibster,will keep the pics coming as i progress.

elnathan,mine is a black&decker also and then i mounted a craftsmen workmate to the top.a smaller version.i bolted two 2/4 to it and covered in wool.works really good.i left it at joes house but will be heading over there tommorrow morning.will take some pics and post them.....

Offline gibster

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2008, 03:06:38 PM »
lol,,,,,,,where in arkansas? i spend time in mountian view ak. and i have friends in mountian home.
I'm in Bella Vista Arkansas.  It is just north of Fayetteville.  and about 4 1/2 / 5-hours west of Mountain Home.  Nice country over there.  I know a gun dealer east of there (Flippin Arkansas) that I have gotten a few originals from in the past.
Eric
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 03:12:18 PM by gibster »

lew wetzel

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2008, 04:19:46 PM »
karwelis,wheres the pics,man.im heading over to joes barn this morning to finish installing my entry pipe and assist joe in bending his tang and getting his barrel set into the stock.

lew wetzel

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2008, 03:10:17 PM »
elnathan,i took some photos yesterday and forgot my camera over at my buddies.will go get it today and post them sometime this weekend.

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2008, 05:12:08 PM »
Lew, you got your hands full with that many going at one time.  I may have two going this winter, planning on getting wood and bbl for my next at Dixons plus I told a good friend I'd build him one if he got all the parts.  Have to admit I'm a little anxious just with the thought of two at once.

karwelis, I love that snow pic.  Funny how different areas work, here I'm out all winter doing stuff, but this time of year when it's 90 degrees with 90% humidity I stay in the AC all afternoon at the workbench.  Once it goes over 70 degrees for the season I hate even going outside.   8)
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

karwelis

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2008, 06:00:14 PM »
karwelis,wheres the pics,man.im heading over to joes barn this morning to finish installing my entry pipe and assist joe in bending his tang and getting his barrel set into the stock.
ok lew sorry spent yesterday working on the rifle and drinkin bear and bbqin. but here are some progress pics, and a couple of my new project my isaac haines with the 44" swamped barrel. tip curtis sent me the most beautiful tiger stripped stock!

lew wetzel

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2008, 07:47:02 PM »
karwelis,man do i need to do a kit gun.that tip curtis gun kit looks pretty good.what kind of lock came with it and have you made it spark.i worked on mine yesterday for 3 hrs.and spent an hour helping my buddy on his.i inlayed my thumb piece and finished my entry pipe .all i need for it now is the lock and nose cap....i also had a couple beers yesterday......

lew wetzel

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2008, 08:00:32 PM »
elnathan,here are pics of my portable work mate gun bench...

karwelis

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2008, 08:45:40 PM »
karwelis,man do i need to do a kit gun.that tip curtis gun kit looks pretty good.what kind of lock came with it and have you made it spark.i worked on mine yesterday for 3 hrs.and spent an hour helping my buddy on his.i inlayed my thumb piece and finished my entry pipe .all i need for it now is the lock and nose cap....i also had a couple beers yesterday......
i dont know where tip curtis got the parts but i know he works them in his shop this is his large siler. and no i havent sparked it yet! got a gun to finish first.