Author Topic: Passing of Dr. George Shumway, May 01, 2011  (Read 6457 times)

Offline Collector

Passing of Dr. George Shumway, May 01, 2011
« on: May 03, 2011, 08:53:23 PM »
I think we would be remiss in not noting, in some small measure, the passing of George Shumway, who's research, photographic documentation and publications were instrumental in shaping the continuing study of the American longrifle, as a distinctly American firearm and a recognized art form. 

Whether we are collectors, students, builders or buyers, we all, collectively, owe this man a debt of gratitude for his contributions.  I think it would be fitting, that the CLA consider an annual award, in honor of Dr. George Shumway, in continuing recognition of this debt.

Gaylord Hansen   

Offline Don Getz

Re: Passing of Dr. George Shumway, May 01, 2011
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 11:41:31 PM »
I agree with you Gaylord.   His "Rifles of Colonial America" has to be the biggest asset to the gunbuilding community  to
ever come down the pike.   These books have given so many builders ideas for guns to build, shows many views and
dimensions not available anywhere else.   He did so many different books, all geared toward our hobby or vocation.  The
CLA would be the proper venue to honor him..............Don

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 01:13:12 AM »
I purchased my RCA vol 1&2 and Thoughts on the Kentucky Rifle in it's Golden Age in 1982 and they have served me well. Dr. Shumway signed and dated my volumes, at the time when I was starting in this hobby that did not mean to much to me. Over the years as I grew in this wonderful hobby of ours I came to appreciate the amount of work he undertook to give us these fine references. I only had the Pleasure of meeting him a few times. All I can think of now is I never told him thank you for his fine work.

Celeste and I will keep his family in our prayers.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 06:31:40 PM »
One the first books that I obtained for reference on the longrifle was "longrifles of note" I talked with George on the phone to order it back in 1973!   He will be missed!   My condolances to the family. 
Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 04:53:40 AM »
What a huge loss. He will be missed.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Michael

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 02:46:45 PM »
I bought my copy of RCA II from him at a show a number of years ago. He signed and dated it for me. He was a giant in our field, and now he no longer walks among us. May his soul rest in piece.

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 12:42:41 AM »
Somehow I missed this thread. A sad day indeed. :(

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 12:07:30 AM »
Sad to see him pass on.  George - in my limited experience with him - was always a very direct guy and at the same time very willing to share any knowledge he had.  My first year at Dixon's, George stopped and looked my stuff over, then proceeded to spend about an hour with me (a complete stranger) and point out everything I had done wrong  :o :D  That kind of directness was very refreshing and I should add VERY helpful, and I sure as $#*! appreciated it.  He also was quite willing to share a LOT of photos with me for no cost at all, pretty much anything I asked for, and that's a rare thing too.  Really good guy.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!