Author Topic: A Ferguson's first day out  (Read 5118 times)

4ster

A Ferguson's first day out
« on: May 13, 2011, 06:48:20 AM »
Today all the pieces became a functioning rifle!  I'll still want to work on a few things some more but really, it's done.  

I asked a friend to join me in case the first shot came out the wrong end of the barrel.  Set up a target a hundred feet away, took aim and.... WOW!  I expected the lock time to be slower but it was nearly as quick as a modern gun.  And I only missed the bulls eye by a couple of inches.  I was very pleased.

A few more shots and the breach screw was starting to gum up.  My improvised Fergi lube (Snow Seal boot dressing) didn't work and I was using Goex instead of Swiss powder.  The ball is about .610.

Now I need to mix up some Fergi lube and learn how to hit the bullseye.

If I figured out how to post pictures here, a couple of photos taken before I got the gun dirty:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4ster/5714530337/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4ster/5714530415/

Thanks to the members of the board for the help, it would have been a lot harder to build the gun without your help.

Steve

So... Just how do you post pictures here?  I've looked all over the site and can't seem to find any instructions.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 06:52:46 AM by 4ster »

roamer

Re: A Ferguson's first day out
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 12:51:01 PM »
THANKS ,for sharing with us. looking forward to owning one of the most interesting machines ever .Again thanks

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 07:47:22 PM »
Hi Steve,

There are picture posting instructions in the tutorial section.  See this..... http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=10.0

I tried adding the brackets with img and /img using the links in your post but it didn't work... just getting the dreaded red X's.   Hopefully someone more knowledgable will chime in. 

Great looking rifle, by the way.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 04:24:05 AM »
Ricky Roberts found that deer or bear grease works really well at keeping them from sticking. If I remember right he also said it is important to open the action right away after firing.  i have watched him shoot 30 or more shots in a row with no problems.
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

camerl2009

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 05:10:29 AM »
i think that boot stuff is why it gumed up crisco should work on it good make sure you clean that breech good

hmm you got that kit at therifleshoppe right it should not need any lube on the breech as it has the 11 independent  thread not the 10 like the sporting models do
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 05:22:51 AM by camerl2009 »

4ster

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 06:10:17 AM »
Yes, I shot it again using Ricky's Fergi-lube (70% beeswax 30% Crisco).  It did not gum up, but I am using commercial beeswax and I think he uses fresh from the hive.   I am going to up the Crisco proportion to make the mixture a little softer.  The stuff I made was pretty hard.

I don't know about 11 vs. 10 threads.  Everything I've read is that The Rifle Shoppe's Ferguson needs lubrication to keep powder fouling from making it seize up.

Opening the breach immediately after firing was easier than when I waited a while.

Ky-Flinter, thanks for finding the picture posting instructions for me.

Steve

bryanbrown

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 04:25:33 AM »
Ricky and I use crisco and beeswax most of the time for FergieLube .  Melt the lube and dip the breech in it for best performance. Also do not for get to lube the balls too.  Ours shoot best with the same British Carbine ball Pattie used.  .615 cal.

www.everyinsultandindignity.com

BTW our current record is 62 rounds with no failures due to fouling.  At the Ferguson didn't quit we were testing lots of arms to see how many rounds to fire before they were to dirty to fire and we got tired and hungry

4ster

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 03:56:00 AM »
Bryan,

First, thanks for getting me going with the Ferguson.  The book you and Ricky are publishing (and the background for it on the web) was the jump start that got me going.  And pointing me to this forum.  Thanks!

On the FergiLube:  How hard is it when it sets?  So far the stuff I have made up is pretty hard.  Do you have a "rule of thumb" (like resistance to a thumb pressure)?

bryanbrown

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 04:25:04 AM »
Glad you caught the bug the Ferguson is an addictive beastie.  Book is still in the works, we had a hiccup with our publisher and are looking for a new one again.  But that is an annoyance at worst.

When set the lube is fairly stiff not hard like a candle but firmer than chap stick.  You will get best performance melting it, dipping the breech in after cleaning and dipping the balls as well.

It will get harder as it gets older especially if not kept in an airtight container, but you can cut in some more crisco if it gets hard enough to crack when poked