American Long Rifles Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 08:16:42 PM
Home Help Login Register
News:

View the Most Recent Posts
View the ALR Mission Statement
View ALR Rules and Policies
Donate to ALR via US Mail or PayPal

+  AmericanLongRifles Forums
|-+  General discussion
| |-+  Contemporary Longrifle Collecting
| | |-+  Lester Smith Pistol circa 1950
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lester Smith Pistol circa 1950  (Read 2279 times)
Shreckmeister

GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller

« on: May 13, 2011, 03:02:37 PM »

Johan (Yock), John, William and Lincoln Shreckengost. Father, son, grandson and great grandson.  4 Generations of gunsmiths in Pennsylvania.
Jim Kibler

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 05:44:32 PM »

That is a neat pistol.  I'm curious how you date it.  I don't know exactly when Lester Smith worked, but the Sell sideplate design makes me question whether this wasn't made after Kindig's book came out in 1960.  I of course could be completely wrong about this though. Smiley  Thanks for posting this. 

Jim
Shreckmeister

GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 06:38:45 PM »

Lester Smith died in 1953

Johan (Yock), John, William and Lincoln Shreckengost. Father, son, grandson and great grandson.  4 Generations of gunsmiths in Pennsylvania.
Blacksmoke

"Old age and tretchery beats youth and skill"

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 08:01:41 PM »

Back about 1976 Sports Afield magazine did a major write up on Lester smith.  He worked with Hacker Martin at times and they made flintlocks largely for the tourist trade during the late 40's and early 50's- if I remember correctly.  Their guns became known as the "Johnson city" school.   Again if I remember correctly.    Hugh Toenjes

H.T.
Glenn

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 09:40:44 PM »

Looks like Mr. Lester Smith was a genius indeed ...  Grin

Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.
smart dog

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 06:34:14 PM »

Hi Jim,
I think Hacker Martin's shop did a lot of restoration work in the 40's and 50's so perhaps Sell's gun passed thriough his shop?  I always understood that Lester Smith liked to engrave.  The pistol certainly confirms that.

dave

"Pa read it in the paper and Ma heard it down at the corner store, so it must be true"  Bert and I
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length