Author Topic: Lester Smith Pistol circa 1950  (Read 6459 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Lester Smith Pistol circa 1950
« on: May 13, 2011, 10:02:37 PM »

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: Lester Smith Pistol circa 1950
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 12:44:32 AM »
That is a neat pistol.  I'm curious how you date it.  I don't know exactly when Lester Smith worked, but the Sell sideplate design makes me question whether this wasn't made after Kindig's book came out in 1960.  I of course could be completely wrong about this though. :)  Thanks for posting this. 

Jim

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 01:38:45 AM »
Lester Smith died in 1953
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 03:01:41 AM »
Back about 1976 Sports Afield magazine did a major write up on Lester smith.  He worked with Hacker Martin at times and they made flintlocks largely for the tourist trade during the late 40's and early 50's- if I remember correctly.  Their guns became known as the "Johnson city" school.   Again if I remember correctly.    Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline Glenn

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 04:40:44 AM »
Looks like Mr. Lester Smith was a genius indeed ...  ;D
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 01:34:14 AM »
Hi Jim,
I think Hacker Martin's shop did a lot of restoration work in the 40's and 50's so perhaps Sell's gun passed thriough his shop?  I always understood that Lester Smith liked to engrave.  The pistol certainly confirms that.

dave
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 01:36:29 AM by smart dog »
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."