Author Topic: English fowler carving ideas  (Read 2765 times)

Offline Ezra

English fowler carving ideas
« on: May 23, 2011, 09:50:16 PM »
I would like to see some photos of English carving for a fowler circa 1740-1750.  Anyone know a source or have any?  Recommendations appreciated.

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: English fowler carving ideas
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 09:56:12 PM »
"Great British Gunmakers" is a good source, but I think it goes for quite a bit of $$.  A good and free source is online auction catalogs.  Bonhams, Christies, Thomas Delmar etc.  Bonhams would be a good place to start.  Their last gun sale had quite a few nice fowling pieces in it.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 10:05:55 PM »
Here is a link to the Christie's Auction catalog of the Keith Neal collection from 2001 - sadly not many detail shots but hundreds of examples to look at.

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/searchresults.aspx?intSaleID=11275#action=refine&intSaleID=11275&sid=087337de-2a5d-4294-aab6-60d249a71642

An inexpensive resource that shows examples of the right style of carving is "The English Flintlock Pistol - a Pictorial Study" by Beebe and Bingham if you can find it.  Paperback, it used to sell for around 8 or 10 bucks.  The binding on mine fell apart the first or second time I used it, but the pictures are pretty good and its well worth the money.

Finally - search the archives and past postings - there have been some nice ones on here.

Good luck

Guy
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 10:09:07 PM by G-Man »

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 10:54:48 PM »
Mine came to pieces too, so I carefully disassembled the book, three ring punched the pages, and put them into a binder.  It's easier to look at now, and I can take pages out for study, enlarging, etc.  I agree...a very nice book for not much $.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 11:16:13 PM »
Funny. I am borrowing Jim Hash's copy of that book and it's all to pieces as well. It has a few decent guns in there that strike my fancy and was a good book for it's time but there are many better sources free on the web in my opinion. I do like the barrel dimensions given.

Ezra, shoot me an email and I send you a few pictures.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 11:19:02 PM by James Rogers »