Author Topic: Tormek Sharpener  (Read 6130 times)

TENdriver

Tormek Sharpener
« on: June 30, 2008, 07:17:19 PM »
Is anyone using a Tormek type sharpener for their carving tools?

Any pros or cons to them?

I've got a slow speed grinder that I use for sharpening the chisels for my wood lathe but I still can get an edge warmer than I like.  I'm really mostly interested in using a Tormek for sharpening my Flexcut/Pfeil carving chisels and knives.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Re: Tormek Sharpener
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 05:59:21 AM »
I have a friend with an absolutely elegant shop who has been taking masters classes in woodworking from a fellow in California who teaches his student to sharpen their chisels and ouges on a grinder and then to finish them on a cloth buffing wheel. No stones or anything else but rouge & buffing wheel. My friend swears by the method as well now. They do incredibile multiwood inlays and a varied of art carvings in addition to fine classical and modern furniture. His carving is beautiful.   As they say ....different strokes....I guess.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 05:59:48 AM by DrTimBoone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline P.Bigham

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 01:31:18 AM »
 I have no experience with the Tormek but I have thought of trying one. I thouht you may Look at the one offered by Grizzly It Looks to be the same, It may be made by the same Company, but at a lot less $165.95 in my 08 catalog. www.grizzly.com
" not all who wander are lost"

Offline DutchGramps

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 11:52:36 AM »
For about 15 years now I have been using a Tormek 1200, an older model. GREAT for grinding and lapping straight chisels, planer blades and gouges, can't do without ;D
Real bikes are kick-started....

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 02:31:39 AM »
The biggest drawback to the Tormek Sharpener is that it hollow grinds the chisels.  In my opinion you are better off if you buy one of the flat plate type sharpeners like the Veritas MK II power sharpener or the Lap Sharp.  I love my Veritas MK II.
DMR

TENdriver

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 05:32:54 PM »
The Grizzly looks interesting.  Harbor Freight sells one as well. 

Not quite grasping how one stone can be used at different grades.  I'm using similar jigs to sharpen gouges for the wood lathe and they really make touch ups fast and simple.

Would like a similar capability for the carving tools.