Author Topic: (Attributed) 110516-4  (Read 10937 times)

Offline nord

(Attributed) 110516-4
« on: May 28, 2011, 04:48:06 PM »
H Dimick rifle 40 calibre, fullstock percussion. Indited for selling arms to the Confederacy and beat the charges. Originally from Lexington Kentucky, that is where this rifle was made. Don Stith confirmed it and stated that it is a rare Dimick because it had brass furniture, Dimick always mounted with iron or silver.

Comments:

I'm no expert on southern guns but that I have some concerns...

The wrist repair is a non-issue but the comment about brass furniture being unknown by this maker sets off alarms. Lack of a patchbox or grease hole is problematic for me on this style of rifle.

Then the full side view... If those ramrod guides aren't equidistant, and in view of the rear sight being moved, the barrel has unquestionably been cut. However, if the guides are equidistant, then I'd bet a restock. (Which explains the brass furniture and lack of a box or grease hole.)

My gut says restock and I'd bet against it ever being delivered as a smooth rifle. Rifling is either shot out or barrel re-bored. Actually I suspect the barrel may be re-used and remounted.

While I wouldn't argue with a description of "unique", it would take a whole lot of convincing for me to ever make an offer on this piece.

==================================================================

For what its worth, I will vouch that Don Stith did confirm this being a brass mounted Dimmick. He gave me that information and I passed it on to the owner of this rifle. There is no question that the barrel has been cut, the owner told me that before I even saw photos of the rifle.

Don said that even though this Dimmick was rarer than a silver mounted ones it would not bring the price of a silver mounted one because people expect it to be silver instead of brass mounted.

I am not sure if it was this Dimmick or a second one the owner has, but one of them was made in a different city than most Dimmick's.
=================================================================

After our back and forth on the Dimick I sent the photos back to Don Stith, he has been reviewing the photos for a second time and has come to the conclusion that it is not a Dimick. I am glad that you have brought this up, myself after our conversation had looked at it more than I ever did and I thought that there was too much space between the D and the remaining letters. Mr. Stith came up with the same conclusion.
=================================================================   

Upon further review of details:

1. Signature is correctly placed between breach plug and original rear sight location.

2. Muzzle area has a small threaded hole forward of front blade. Purpose unknown.

3. Rear sight has been moved into the middle of the signature.

4. Percussion barrel is fashioned to look like what we'd expect from a patent breach. Corrosion and time make it appear to have been forged along with the barrel but there is a seam.

I would make the tentative conclusion that the barrel has not been cut. I would further conclude that the gun was rifled at some point. Whether worn smooth or bored smooth I have no idea.

Modifications to the upper barrel flat are a mystery. This especially when looking at a smooth bore.

Lack of either patchbox or grease hole is problematic to me along with the brass hardware. It occurs to me that this rifle was built in period and used an older barrel. I've shared with the owner that I can't imagine the original maker out-shopping a rifle with a defaced signature and that a Dimick gun without a patchbox would be atypical.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 04:43:15 PM by Tim Crosby »
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.