Author Topic: Beginner Bag Building Questions  (Read 8237 times)

NSBrown

Beginner Bag Building Questions
« on: October 30, 2008, 10:30:54 PM »
I am new to bag making and would appreciate advice from you experienced builders.

I need a source for leather. I have browsed the Internet, but find a wide range of prices and no way to assess quality. Recommendations?

I plan to build two or three bags initially...how much leather should I order?

I have read that I should begin with 3 to 4 oz. vegetable-tanned leather... Is that good advice?

I have a good piece of elk hide...but it is heavier than 4 oz. and very pliable when compared to the vegetable-tanned leather I have handled. It seems to me that it wouldn't hold a bag's shape very well. Is it inappropriate for a shooting bag?

NSBrown

Re: Beginner Bag Building Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 10:35:13 PM »
I just noticed Wally's Elk bag down the board and his bag answers my last question beautifully.

Wally, any advice to someone considering building a bag out of elk hide?

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 01:08:47 AM »
I need a source for leather. I have browsed the Internet, but find a wide range of prices and no way to assess quality. Recommendations?

You can get good veg tanned from Tandy and Seigel of California. I buy most of my leather from Kentucky  Leather and hide, www.kentuckyleatherandhide.com

I have read that I should begin with 3 to 4 oz. vegetable-tanned leather... Is that good advice?

Many leather workers, including myself, use 3-4oz veg tanned or oak tanned. I also like and use 2-3oz for some bags. I like the thinner leather for smaller bags.

I have a good piece of elk hide...but it is heavier than 4 oz. and very pliable when compared to the vegetable-tanned leather I have handled. It seems to me that it wouldn't hold a bag's shape very well. Is it inappropriate for a shooting bag?

Any soft leather can be used for making bags and if you line the whole bag with thick material like hemp or mattress ticking it will help it hold the shape. A lot of bags are being made out of brain tanned leather.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
American Mountain Men #1393

FlintRock Rob

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 02:04:57 AM »
To figure the amount of leather just make some paper patterns of the size bag you want and estimate sq ft from those. Don't forget about the straps! I buy veg-tan hides that range from 6 sq ft to 30 sq ft depending on how many bags I want to make from one hide. I usually get a couple of single-pouch bags from 6 sq ft, but your mileage may vary…

Almost forgot, buy T.C. Albert's book "Recreating The 18th Century Hunting Pouch" it's full of good info!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 02:09:40 AM by FlintRock Rob »

BrownBear

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 07:07:00 AM »
If you want practice with the mechanics of building while saving a few buxx, visit your nearest thrift store and look at the leather jackets and vests.  I gave $3 for a vest that yielded enough leather for two bags.  No, they're not my best creations, but they have sure proven serviceable.  The biggest shortcoming will be the lack of long enough leather for a strap.  Either sew it together or carry the vest over to the used belt section and find something compatible.  I paid 25 cents for two of them.

The bags I turned out were too light for my taste, so eventually I headed over to Wallyworld and bought a couple of yards of pillow ticking for under $10.  I disassembled the bags and glued the ticking to the inner surface, improving the stitching when I reassembled the bags.  Now the texture/weight of the bags is just about right for my tastes. 

Counting the glue and thread, I never invested much more than $10 in those first bags.  And the lessons I learned really paid off when I went to buy leather for my first "real" build-  I had a better idea what to look for weight-wise, plus I made fewer mistakes.  Good deal all around, and I still use those first two bags.

Offline Chuck Burrows

• Wild Rose Trading Company
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 12:00:58 PM »
In my not so humble opinion  ;) my favorite leather is produced in the good ole USA by Wickett and Craig www.wickett-craig.com. It's  a bit more expensive than some of the imports, but I have NEVER gotten a bad hide from them which can't be said about the imports (FWIW I've been buying leather for 47 years and make my living at it...)
I would recommend their Tooling and Holster leather which comes in both sides (22-24 sq ft approximate) and new to them double shoulders (12-14 sq ft approx) - it comes standard in 8/10 oz but they will split it to whatever thickness you desire at NO extra charge - the great thing about that is you get very clean back since it is split from thicker leather........grade wise - the cheapest is fine quality leather, it just has more range marks and possibly a brand on it - if you plan on aging your bag the range marks just add to the "patina".
Best way to order is give tham a call, the number is on their website........
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 12:01:57 PM by ChuckBurrows »
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

NSBrown

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 10:39:40 PM »
Thanks for the help fellas. I'll let you know how it goes.

wwpete52

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 05:20:49 AM »
I just noticed Wally's Elk bag down the board and his bag answers my last question beautifully.

Wally, any advice to someone considering building a bag out of elk hide?

I just saw your post. Sure, you can use elk. You could use a harness on the back so the bag will keep it's shape.  I use vegetable tanned, soft cowhide, elk, buffalo, moose, etc...to build bags.  Many like to only use vegetable tanned but I find that the other types of leather are just as good.  Actually, sometimes better because they will expand more. One good thing about vegetable tanned is that you can "age" it fast by using oven cleaner on it before you dye it.  That really doesn't work good on other leathers.  If you have any questions feel free to pm me.  I'll also be happy to give you a call.
Wally

Offline fcguth

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 11:36:33 PM »
I am glad to say that the pouch shown in the above thread
by jasontn was made for me. A very well made bag at reasonable
price. Fits very well with my Arkansas squirrel rifle.
Fred

Offline b bogart

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 12:32:58 AM »
Thanks jasontn. I've got some nice pigskin and was wondering about using it for a bag. It's about 4oz. I may try my first bag with this now!
Bruce

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 12:46:20 AM »
yw bruce, if youd like you can look here,  http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q147/jasontn/  i have a lot of pouches in there made from pigskin, some dyed and some before the dye process. i have had good luck dying them with rit dye mixes. the one pictured above i did with some black walnut powder.

You do nice work. I especially like the horns.

Tim C.

Offline Beaverman

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 02:05:29 AM »
Yep, Jason does sone nice work for sure! One thing I might add to all the above posts, you can also score linen waxed thread that can be split from wally world for under a buck in white, brown and black.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 06:52:20 AM by Beaverman »