Author Topic: first try at inletting fowler butt plate  (Read 5791 times)

Bioprof

first try at inletting fowler butt plate
« on: July 01, 2008, 07:44:19 AM »
I almost thought I had bit off more than I could chew when I started inletting a fowler-style butt plate on my snaphaunce carbine project.  The hardest part was closing up the gap at the top corners of the heel where there's a little concave recess.  It looks like there might be a 1/32" gap there, but I think I can close it up by "persuasion".   It's hard to tell from the picture, but  the tang is actually inlet below the surface of the wood.  I cut out the butt plate from one of Reaves Goehring's "the blob".    It sure is a lot of metal to inlet.

btw, I still have a lot of wood to remove from the left side of the stock.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 07:46:24 AM by Bioprof »

Online bob in the woods

Re: first try at inletting fowler butt plate
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 01:33:50 PM »
That is looking really good. You've done a great job.

lew wetzel

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 04:25:34 PM »
i have heard reaves has such a thing,i got a buttplate that is to short and would like to return it for the "blob".he should be at the cla show in aug.i should take it with me.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 04:46:21 PM »
I have one here if you need it before the CLA show or Reaves does not have them with him at the CLA.
Dennis

i have heard reaves has such a thing,i got a buttplate that is to short and would like to return it for the "blob".he should be at the cla show in aug.i should take it with me.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 07:36:15 PM »
Looks like you did fine.  You might find it easier to inlet the buttplate if you go ahead and shape the butt down closer to final shape before inletting.  You will have a lot less extra wood to have to inlet through, and you will actually end up with a neater inlet because of that.

It took me a long time to set aside my ideas that I had to leave myself a lot of extra wood.  Hard habit to break, but once I did, I was glad of it.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Roy S.

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 02:45:36 AM »
Looks like you did fine.  You might find it easier to inlet the buttplate if you go ahead and shape the butt down closer to final shape before inletting.  You will have a lot less extra wood to have to inlet through, and you will actually end up with a neater inlet because of that.

It took me a long time to set aside my ideas that I had to leave myself a lot of extra wood.  Hard habit to break, but once I did, I was glad of it.

yep same here... well it didn't take that long to figure lol.   ::)

lew wetzel

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 07:34:09 PM »
dennis ,pm sent.