Author Topic: (COMPLETED!)Wooden Iowa Rifling Bench  (Read 35514 times)

Online David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
(COMPLETED!)Wooden Iowa Rifling Bench
« on: June 13, 2011, 04:25:06 AM »
I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.  Pictured below is my almost completed version of a wooden Iowa rifle bench.  I started with one of Bookies 49 1/2 inch cylinders and his book.  The worm is 1-48 twist with 7 grooves.  The legs are removable so I can store the bench on the wall when not in use or transport it for a demonstration.  Bookies instruction book made construction a breeze.  I opted to do everything by hand using planes, chisels, gouges, table saw, drill press and electric drill just so I could say I did.  The grooves took the longest.  The first one took about 3 hours and then I got it down to about 2 hours each.  I am going to disassemble everything, give it a light sanding, add a little stain and sealer and then all that is left is to build the rifling head.
Dave
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 06:14:04 AM by rich pierce »

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Re: Wooden Iowa Rifling Bench
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 05:43:21 AM »
Wow!  She looks great.   I like the adaptations.  Thanks for posting.  Please post a pic when you have it all stained up.
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 07:32:27 PM »
Hi Dave,  Great work on the rifling bench.  Do you plan to use it?
I was wondering why the two rods on each side of the spiral
cutting cylinder were necessary?  On the original bench used by
my Shreckengost ancestors, there was only the cylinder rod.  You
can see it on ALR under The Shreckengost Collection.   I assume
you are a rifle builder as well?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 07:38:12 PM »
That's just too cool Dave.  I watched some lads using a similar bench at Dixon's Fair.  It worked really slick.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Online David Rase

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 07:59:50 PM »
Suzkat,
I do plan on using the rifling bench.  I have a couple of .50 caliber barrel blanks on order.  The rods transfer the pull on the handle to the tail piece which in turn applies the axial force to the worm.  I have seen the design you are talking about where the worm is coupled to the handle thus eliminating the need for the two rods.     
Taylor,
That rifling bench at Dixon's is nice enough to be a piece of furniture.  If I had that rifling bench I would have to make a place for it in my living room.  I spent several hours working and learning from those guys several years ago. 

Offline Glenn

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 05:39:28 AM »
I've got the same thing planned but I'm trying to get the barrel reamer done first.  Bookie has great plans and they are easy to follow, well illustrated and very sensibly explained.  I'm waiting on the rifle worm now.  Already got 2 pistol worms from him.  Hopefully I'll have the reamer and the pistol rifler done by the end of the summer.

Dave ... You did great work on your project it looks like.  I can only hope mine turns out half as nice.   ;D

Please keep us updated on how it works when the barrel blanks get here.
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 02:47:53 PM »
That looks great, David!  You did an excellent job, thanks for sharing.  You have helped jumpstart my thoughts towards building one of my own.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 04:19:56 PM »
Very, very nice work.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 05:44:13 PM »
David:  You will soon be a member of the "exclusive" handcut rifling club!!??  ;) Nice work! 
Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline Steve Bookout

• AF & AM, #59
    • Toad Hall Rifleshop
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 04:50:51 AM »
Dave, Brother Ken Guy gave me heads up on your post.  You do me proud.  She really, really looks beautiful and SEVEN grooves to boot!  Reckon I'd best be letting you build my next rifler!!  Please send me a photo when you have'er all dressed up as I'd sure like to display your handicraft on my website.  Thanks for the kind words.  Cheers, Bookie
Steve Bookout, PhD, CM, BSM
University of South Viet Nam
Class of 1969
Class of 1970
Class of 1971

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 07:24:56 PM »
Dave, how do you go about cutting the grooves.  They appear to be quite precise!

It's a beautiful piece of work, thanks for putting it up.
Mike Lee

msmith

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 07:03:56 AM »
Nice work...Would like to have one of those....Do you ever see any of them for sale?

Online David Rase

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 01:44:26 AM »
Dave, how do you go about cutting the grooves.  They appear to be quite precise!

It's a beautiful piece of work, thanks for putting it up.
Longcruise,
I laid out the twist on a sheet of paper that was the same length and diameter as the worm.  I then wrapped the paper around the cylinder, taped it in place and used a wide chisel and made a cut the entire length following the line.  Next I figured out the spacing and using a business card trimmed to the right width I penciled in the other 6 grooves.  I then used another slice of business card just under 3/8" wide and laid out the groove width.
I used a drill bit and stop and marked the depth of the grooves about every inch.  I then chiseled each side of the groove in approximately 6" sections.  I used a gouge to remove the wood and then repeated the process two more times for each section until I got to depth.  What I think made the grooves so uniform was the square scrapper I made from a piece of 3/8" square stock approximately 1 1/2" long.  I mounted this on a handle and after roughing out the groove with a chisel and gouge I scrapped the groove to uniform size and depth.  Using a rubber eraser that I trimmed down I then sanded the grooves with 60 grit paper wrapped around the eraser.  A couple of coats of spar varnish sandeded between coats with the eraser will slick it up nicely.
Dave

Offline James

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 05:16:35 AM »
Very nice and I think it does belong in the house  :)
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

eagle24

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 06:24:00 PM »
Suzkat,
I do plan on using the rifling bench.  I have a couple of .50 caliber barrel blanks on order.

Cool rifling bench Dave!  I'm thinking to get the "full experience" you really need to forge the first barrel and post pics of the process on here.

Offline Hoot AL

• Hoot Al's Rifleshop
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2011, 11:49:56 PM »
Nice work on the rifler, Dave.  I pleased to learn the instructions Bookie and I provided in the book were found to be easy to follow.  Look forward to you posting the finalized finish on the rifler. We have had riflers made all over the world from the plans in our book. Glad to see a finished product. 

Again, you did a fine job.  Have you rifled any barrels yet?

Hoot AL

baer19d

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2011, 09:34:01 PM »
How does this rifler work? Does anyone have a video of it in operation.

baer19d

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 02:20:18 AM »
bump

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 04:55:20 AM »
Go to Steve Bookout's web site, there's pictures, and some video's I think, and also how to get his book on building one.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Online David Rase

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2011, 07:13:34 AM »
Finally got to take the rifling bench out for a test drive this weekend.  There was a woodworkers show at our local Woodcraft store and since they make a good sized contribution to our guild every year the guild in return puts on a display at their show.  Got to put 980 strokes on the old boy today, about a third of the way there I figure.  Here are a couple of pictures of the rifling bench.

The bench in all its glory.

A pile of swarth after a 10 stroke run.
Dave

Bookie, I will be sending some pictures to you as requested to post on your web sight.  Thanks for all your help.  As stated before, the book was written so well that even a cave man could build the rifling bench.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 06:14:40 AM by rich pierce »

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2011, 05:50:54 PM »
David; If there would have been a first place blue ribbon at the woodworkers show held by the Woodcraft store your completed project would certainly have been the top contender (winner). Thanks for sharing the birth of a rifling experience from build, "WOODEN IOWA RIFLING BENCH" to completing a rifled barrel. Outstanding job. Turkeyfooter. 
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Online David Rase

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2011, 09:43:06 PM »
David; If there would have been a first place blue ribbon at the woodworkers show held by the Woodcraft store your completed project would certainly have been the top contender (winner). Thanks for sharing the birth of a rifling experience from build, "WOODEN IOWA RIFLING BENCH" to completing a rifled barrel. Outstanding job. Turkeyfooter.  
Turkeyfooter,
I just looked in the Wooden Iowa Rifling book Steve sent me before I started my adventure.  He dated it October 25, 2010.  It was just shy of a year to complete the project and start rifling a barrel.  
Dave
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 09:44:26 PM by David Rase »

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
Re: (COMPLETED!)Wooden Iowa Rifling Bench
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2011, 04:37:16 AM »
So Dave, your wife doesn't mind that you're using her toothbrush? ;D

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Online David Rase

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2011, 12:43:09 AM »
While cleaning up my shop today I came across the bucket of chips I was saving from cutting the 7 grooves in the rifling worm.  Thought I would share a photo with you guys.  Don't ask me why I saved them or why I am sharing a photo of them!  ;D ;D ;D
Dave

Grain scoop with chips from grooving the rifling worm.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 06:15:19 AM by rich pierce »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2011, 02:04:34 AM »
Dave,
Probably from habit, you know keeping those curls just in case you need to repair a place and need a few pieces to glue back ;D
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson