Author Topic: English Fowling Piece By Elston of Doncaster  (Read 8205 times)

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
English Fowling Piece By Elston of Doncaster
« on: June 28, 2011, 01:29:31 AM »
This provincial fowling gun was made third quarter of the 18th century By Abraham Elston of Doncaster, Yorkshire, England.

Abraham Elston, son of Thomas Elston (christened January 8, 1738) was apprenticed to Benjamin Elston, gunsmith of Doncaster, most certainly a relative and probably his uncle in the year 1746.

The barrel, engraved "Doncaster" has what appears to  very much resemble London proof and view marks. It also has the maker's mark of Benjamin Elston. Apparently, Abraham continued to use Benjamin's mark as evidenced by some later pieces. The gun is set up as a take-down. By pulling the rear most barrel wedge, the barrel can be removed for cleaning by leaving most of the wood protected around it except for the breech area. The 38 7/16" barrel  has been cut approximately 1 " or so,  most likely from a ding to the muzzle. There is a small amount of flare remaining.

The length of pull on this gun is 13 1/8". The butt stock architecture is wonderful. All wrought iron mounted, there is no side plate but two engraved bolt washers. There is no engraving on the butt plate but it's appears that it may have had engraving at one time. A small flower adorns the trigger bow. The breech tang is engraved as well.
The flat, beveled lock is marked "ELSTON" and is in good working order.
The ramrod pipes are pinned but the pins do not go thru to the other side.
Both the trigger guard and butt plate are fastened by means of hidden hooks underneath as are many of the finer pieces of the period.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 04:02:44 PM by James Rogers »

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: English Fowling Piece By Elston of Doncaster
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 07:38:56 AM »
Hi James,
Great photos of a solidly made English gun!! Thanks for the detailed photos which are incredibly useful.  With its take-down feature, I wonder if it came with some early form of case?

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 02:50:56 PM »
Nice one James, thanks for posting. ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 03:13:35 PM »
Beautiful old gun. Great photos, what is pic 16 a photo of? You can almost see a handprint in the wear on the wrist.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 06:55:13 AM »
Micha,
What you are looking at is the forend joint for the take down portion of the butt stock in side view. The top view portion is precedes it. The wedge key is the funky little swirly thing sitting on the surface of the wood.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 08:37:57 AM »
Images of a simular English piece from the same period the join of the full stock is of brass.
Feltwad

« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 08:52:29 AM by Feltwad »

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 02:16:39 PM »
Micha,
What you are looking at is the forend joint for the take down portion of the butt stock in side view. The top view portion is precedes it. The wedge key is the funky little swirly thing sitting on the surface of the wood.
Images of a simular English piece from the same period the join of the full stock is of brass.
Feltwad

Thanks  Guys
I see it now! Funny how a picture can make no sense sometimes, IT WAS WOOD I was looking at.

Offline Dale Campbell

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 02:32:05 PM »
What implications does this take down feature have with respect to the Montague rifle in the Dewitt-Wallace museum at Colonial Williamsburg? It has the same fitting in the forearm.
Best regards,
Dale

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 03:02:42 PM »
I don' think there is any direct association other than they both use silver separators.  The take-down features on these English guns were not uncommon and were there to make it easier to unhook and remove the barrel without damaging the forestock - as you can see they are very thin.

Gary knows more I am sure but isn't there some debate on the Montague rifle - i.e. whether it was originally built that way or is a repair?  If I recall the wood on the forend is maybe different from the rest of the stock perhaps?

Guy
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 03:05:22 PM by G-Man »

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 03:52:20 PM »
To me, there seems to be a correlation between the on-coming popularity of fitted cases in the 18th century with this style of take-down on a full stocked gun. Some being retro-fitted and some being done as a repair.  I also believe some could have also been made that way from the start. Different wood (making use of shorter stock in inventory) could have been easily used for new construction as well as a repair.

For the gunmaker:
Use leftover wood, sell a case, make a quick turnaround repair, retrofit............. more business........more money in the pocket.

For the end user:
This is a wonderful and safe way to protect a full stocked, hooked breech gun to remove barrel for cleaning in a bucket. It also allows for a more compact method of storage while still allowing for rapid assembly.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 04:09:02 PM »
Micha,

Thanks  Guys
I see it now! Funny how a picture can make no sense sometimes, IT WAS WOOD I was looking at.

Dave is correct. That picture was a little hard to discern not having much context surrounding it ;D

I have also gone back and numbered the pictures so they can be discussed easier.

James