Author Topic: Paneled Horn  (Read 7092 times)

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Paneled Horn
« on: November 01, 2008, 06:09:14 PM »
After receiving a very fine Ed Wilde shooting bag from ALR member Dave Zoellers, I had to make a horn to accompany the bag.  Pictured is a copper banded paneled horn with an American walnut base plug.   I think the colors of the horn and bag compliment each other very well.
DMR

Offline Dave B

Re: Paneled Horn
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 06:29:36 PM »
Nice horn Dave. Is that engraled section a applied turned collar? It has the look of it but I wasnt sure. That copper is perfectly fitted.  Those of you who have never tried to put a metal coller on a horn are missing an exersize in frustration. Not only do you have to get the band to lay flat but it has to have a cone shape to match the surface correctly. I have never seen any of Dave's work that had any gaps. The only thing I think thats missing is the patina but that will come soon enough with it full of powder.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 09:42:00 PM »
David,

Great looking horn. I have made a couple of horns paneled full length and know how much work is involved in getting all the panels just right. The horn and the bag do compliment each other for sure.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 11:35:59 PM »
 Nice horn, good job.  I like that band.

Tim C.

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 06:10:05 AM »
That band is really nice and I like the bag as well.
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 09:02:07 AM »
Now, isn't that a grand set! The horn and bag match perfectly. The horn is especially fine and took a bit of shaping to get those flats. Nice work! I would be proud to shoulder an outfit like that, any day in the week.
Dick

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 09:14:59 AM »
That's a great horn you've made. I'd love to see it aged and highlighted a little. The bag has such a great "handled" or "used" color to it, I think the horn might even compliment it better if it had a touch of the same.  Shelby Gallien

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 05:23:31 PM »
OK, OK, I give, I will give the horn a slight patina. 
Dave B.  The collar is not applied, it is integral to the horn.  As for the copper band attachment, because the raw horn needed to start out some what thick to panel it I was able to attach the base of the horn to a tapered wood plug in my lathe and reduce the area for the band which created  a forward shoulder for the band to butt up against.  Doing this allowed me to install the band from the base end of the horn and "capture" it between the shoulder and the base plug.  The square pegs in the copper band are shoe pegs.  I learned about using them from Mike Small, another great horner.  As for the inspiration for the horn you need only turn to page 36 of Madison Grant's book, Powder Horns and their Architecture.
Thanks for all the compliments.  I am working on rigging the rest of the bag, bullet board, powder measure, brush and pick etc.
DMR

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 08:26:49 PM »
Great stuff Dave...keep it coming.  Lovely!!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 10:32:12 PM »
  The collar is not applied, it is integral to the horn.  DMR

Beautiful powderhorn. The raw horn must have been huge. How big was the horn and how thick were the walls at the base?

Best regards

Rolfkt

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 04:40:36 AM »
Great work, Dave.

Offline Kingsman06

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 03:02:22 PM »
Dave,

That is a beautiful horn.  The set look fantastic together. 
Dave Zoellers

Wild Willy

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 12:47:06 AM »
Looks a little bare to me...  Then again most of what I make have a little engraving on em.  I made a horn that was very close to that and did a rolling floral motif on each panel.   A fella from New York snatched it off a rack at a shoot and complimented me on my fine work.  Then said, "If you catch the little #!*@* who put the graffiti on it, Id string em up!"
Nice horn either way.