Author Topic: RCA # 63 - A. Verner  (Read 31791 times)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
RCA # 63 - A. Verner
« on: June 25, 2011, 01:35:23 AM »
Ever since I started studying and building muzzle loading rifles, the Andrew Verner rifle depicted in Rifles of Colonial America Volumn 1, and other texts, has been one of my favourites.  I have owned the parts to build this rifle three times...the first lot, I sold on a weak moment;  the second, I built the rifle and then sold it (twice).  This is the third effort, and this one I'm keeping.  I'll sight it in tomorrow, and shoot it in our annual rendezvous coming up in a week.
I was careful to document all aspects of the rifle, and though I departed from Verner's masterpiece in several respects, such as barrel length and bore, for the most part I have tried hard to get it right.  I have had three primary reference works on my bench throughout the build, and paid attention to the details that define this rifle.
My rifle has a John Getz .50 cal rifled barrel 48" long.  It is 1" at the breech, and is swamped.  The stock is Western Maple stained with ferric nitrate dissolved in water.  The finish is varnish.  It weighs 7 pounds 14 oz. and balances in the hand at the entry pipe.  LOP is 13 1/2".

I'm looking forward to shooting it tomorrow.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

welafong1

Re: RCA # 63 - A. Verner
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 01:57:24 AM »
very nice how long did it take you to do the carveing and inlaying ?
thank you
Richard Westerfie3ld

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 02:32:03 AM »
Doing the drawings, making the inlays, inletting them into the wood, engraving and doing the incised carving, is what this rifle is all about.  I did not keep track of time:  but if building the rifle = "x", then the rest of it is likely "4x".  Does that make sense?
D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 02:48:47 AM »
Here's a bunch more showing other aspects of the build.  Note that it has a hooked breech whose tang rises well above the wood.

D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 03:01:26 AM »
As usual Taylor, Very very nice. If you could please show a close up of your patch box catch/latch.  Every aspect of the gun is splendid.   Smylee

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 03:05:04 AM »
That is a beautiful rifle Taylor. You should  be proud. I have long admired that gun, and would have tried one myself were I up to the task.....   You have captured the look and the spirit of it, and I wish you many years of enjoyment in using it  :)

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 03:09:22 AM »
Taylor,
Wonderful as always!!  I like the fact that you didn't artificially age the metal or wood.  Let mother nature do that.  Lovely rifle.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 03:30:38 AM »
The latch couldn't be simpler.  The catch spring is bent over at the tip to catch the hook on the lid, and is driven into the end grain of the butt stock.  The kicker spring is made out of hack saw blade.  I added a piece of maple so I'd have something to screw into for the kicker spring.  If I had to do it again, I would have left more wood toward the back end of the box to cover the hole where the spring/catch sits, and I can still do it if I get crazy.  Also, I don't work too hard at removing chisel cuts on the inside of the box.  Lots of room in there.

This is #98 from my shop.  The second pic shows that sexy little incised carving to terminate the lower butt stock moulding, and the curvy trigger plate.

D. Taylor Sapergia

Online Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 03:35:21 AM »
Every single piece of this is a work of art.  Wow.

Coryjoe

Offline smshea

• www.scottshearifles.com
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 04:08:42 AM »
Outstanding!!!! very beautiful!

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 04:22:20 AM »
Taylor, Your usual meticulous attention to detail really is on display here. Congratulations on this fine build.

Offline yip

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 04:26:37 AM »
 wow! thats not a shoot'n piece, thats a master piece. very beautiful!

Leatherbelly

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 04:40:06 AM »
   Yumpin yimminy!Whoo hoo! If you ever have another weak moment,consider me...again,lol! Beautiful rifle.

I just want to add. I've had the pleasure of knowing Taylor for twenty odd years.I've seen a lot of his builds,shot some and owned a few also. All were wonderful rifles. But something has changed in the last couple of years, like since he went to Dixons the first time. I'm sure he is inspired by the originals he got to handle whilst there. All I can say is this: the rifle he built for me has presence, like holding something "alive". Kudos to you my friend! You've raised the bar again.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 05:15:09 AM by CanvasBack »

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 04:40:54 AM »
Taylor,

Congratulations on another exceptional rifle, really well done.  I don't blame you, I'd keep it too...

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 04:53:03 AM »
The "Quintessential American Longrifle"!!  a priceless work of art Taylor. Mr Verner is proud of what he inspired, I am sure!!

Rust blued barrel??  And did it only take one application of Ferric Nitrate?? When you say the finish is varnish, is it your own recipe or a commercial brand??
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Harnic

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2011, 05:00:16 AM »
WOW!  Yet again!  Nice work Taylor.

Odd Fellow

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2011, 05:07:04 AM »
Wonderful work!

Very good fit and finish!

• Member 3
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2011, 05:07:18 AM »
Thank you Tim, and everyone else!  The barrel, trigger, trigger plate, slides and standing breech are rustetted...cold browned using Neider's formula as assembled by a friend of mine in Marysville, BC (Kootenays).  The varnish is just a little cheap stuff I had left over, and it was starting to skin over, but I used it anyway.  It took nearly three days for the first light coat to cure.  So I remembered that sunlight activates linseed oil, and put the stock over the hood of my truck in the driveway...an hour on each side.  That kicked it and I was satisfied that it was dry.  I applied several more coats with a cotton flannel swatch, over a week's time frame.  I cut it back with 4 ought steel wool, and applied Trewax lightly.

The ferric nitrate is a super saturated solution.  It looks like dark tea - not as dark as Dan Pharis' but darker than I used before.  It gave me a rich brown that is almost indestructable, but no red hues - @!*%?&!  I have yet to see that on any experiments that I've done.  I applied it twice and kicked it both times with the heat gun.  I couldn't see any difference in the two applications so I stopped.
D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2011, 05:10:52 AM »
Tim, I was going to rust blue the barrel, because I love the look, but Verner's rifle is browned, so in the end I went with that.  I decided not to brown the lock, though - I really like a bright lock.  I enjoy the contrast in metal finishes, against the brass and rich brown of the wood.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2011, 05:23:17 AM »
Well the barrel and standing breech look great!! I like the contrasting metals as well and that lock is too pretty to be browned.

The GA gun I am making now will be stained with Ferric nitrate.... Last time I hit it twicw with ferric and it wasnt dark enough and then the third time was darker than I wanted...this time a stronger solution will be the experiment........ but then I will seal it with a 1# cut of dewaxed garnet shellac to get a little red tint..... we will see how it turns out.

Your work is always inspiring Taylor.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2011, 06:02:52 AM »
Taylor WOW!! It is a beauty. I don't know what the other two versions looked like, but they say that three's the charm. I'd keep it too.

Offline Ben I. Voss

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2011, 06:11:21 AM »
Simply a "masterpiece" and an inspiration to all !! Thanks for sharing. Good photography, too.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2011, 06:54:52 AM »
Breathtaking, Taylor.  I really can't add much that hasn't been said already, but I must say it is obvious you poured a great deal of yourself into this latest work of art.

As a beginning builder I would appreciate it if you could share a bit of an overview of the technique you used for the incised carving.  It is so very crisp, but flows well, not at all stiff.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Dave B

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2011, 06:57:37 AM »
I have said it before. I love your work. This is one of my favorites. You could get two snickers bars into that pacth box!
Have fun at the range.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2011, 10:03:09 AM »
Thank you for posting the pictures. It's allways inspirering to see a masters work.
Who cast the triggergard?

Best regards
Rolf