Author Topic: soldering a sight  (Read 2125 times)

Offline varsity07840

soldering a sight
« on: July 07, 2011, 08:12:32 PM »
Can anyone steer me through the proceedure for soldering a rear sight into  dovetail. The cut is very shallow, without much if any bevels and it won't grip any sight I try, evenones I've filed at the base to fit(I didn't cut it). It's a round musket barrel and I'm reluctant to deepen it. So, I'd like to solder it in but I stink at it. I am a bit concerned about getting the barrel too hot and warping it.

Thanks in advance.

Duane

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: soldering a sight
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 08:33:51 PM »
I would tin the bottom of the sight. Use a good soldering paste to clean the metal (if you have it). If not try putting a little borax on the bottom of the sight before heating it. When the paste/borax melts touch it with a small piece of solder. It should leave a thin shinny coating of solder on the bottom of the sight. Try it in the dovetail, the thickness of the tinning might tighten the sight in the dovetail. If not, tap sight in place then use a propane torch to heat the barrel under the sight. As soon as the solder flows remove flame let cool and check. This has worked for me when I opened the dovetail a little to much to hold the sight tightly in place.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson