Author Topic: DeCamp horn and Conde strap  (Read 7140 times)

keweenaw

DeCamp horn and Conde strap
« on: November 04, 2008, 08:55:24 PM »
I thought I'd share my treasure with you all.  The horn is one of Art DeCamp's York horns, copied directly from an original and the strap is one of Tom Conde's "Guthman" tumpline style straps copied from an original tumpline that was in Bill Guthman's collection.  The strap is finger woven in hemp that Tom dyed.  The idea was to have the strap complement the simple elegance of the horn.  I think the pictures tell the story.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 09:45:53 PM by snyder »

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: DeCamp horn and Conde strap
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 09:45:02 PM »
 Nice horn and strap. Great close up pics.

Thanks, Tim C.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 06:43:52 AM »
Art DeCamp's screw tip horns are about the best out there for accuracy of style and original appearance.  And he's a great guy as well if you get to know him. You have a really nice outfit. Shelby Gallien

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 06:56:10 AM »
Art DeCamp is a very talented and modest individual.  He's also a nice guy who's willing to share his knowledge with anyone who asks.  His horns are so good, and so close to the originals, it's scary.  I have two of his pieces and when I look at them, I marvel at his craftsmanship.

Frank

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 08:05:26 AM »
Let me add my voice to the chorus singing Art DeCamp's praises. He has the good hand and can make a horn like few others. He is doing a Tansel horn for me which is a documentary copy of one taken to California in the Gold Rush. The argonaut pulled out the plug and used the horn as a scoop to empty his sluicebox. You can imagine the effect that had on the horn, a really nice one dated 1850. Restoration was pretty much out of the question, so Art suggested that he make the copy and engrave it cut for cut. It will be ready next year and I can't wait to see it. I'll put up film at eleven when it is done.
Dick

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 04:53:49 PM »
Let me add my voice to the chorus singing Art DeCamp's praises. He has the good hand and can make a horn like few others. He is doing a Tansel horn for me which is a documentary copy of one taken to California in the Gold Rush. The argonaut pulled out the plug and used the horn as a scoop to empty his sluicebox. You can imagine the effect that had on the horn, a really nice one dated 1850. Restoration was pretty much out of the question, so Art suggested that he make the copy and engrave it cut for cut. It will be ready next year and I can't wait to see it. I'll put up film at eleven when it is done.
Dick

Looking forward to seeing that one. Would like to see the original as well.

Thanks, Tim C.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 07:31:16 PM »
Art DeCamp is a very talented and modest individual.  He's also a nice guy who's willing to share his knowledge with anyone who asks.  His horns are so good, and so close to the originals, it's scary.  I have two of his pieces and when I look at them, I marvel at his craftsmanship.

Frank
Exactly - Heck he can't be bad cuz he loves to shoot chunk and well!

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 09:04:15 PM »
Thank you, Tim. I will put them both up so that you can judge the two of them for yourself.
Art said that it would be after the first of the year, so we have awhile yet. If you happen to be in his shop, you can ask to see the original. He has my permission to show it.
In any case, they will show up here when I get them.
Regards-Dick

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 06:47:38 AM »
That's perhaps the nicest strap I've seen.  Wonderful workmanship!  And the horn is most elegant.  Great photography!!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

nthe10ring

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 06:24:54 PM »
Simple elegance, both horn and strap a compliment to the other.

Jerry Fisher

Offline mountainman

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 02:29:30 AM »
I have the exact same style powder horn, that I had purchased from Art Decamp, at Dixon's gunmakers fair earlier this summer. It's beautiful! I have not yet attached it  to the hunting bag, that my wife has made for me out at Conner prairie. Maybe when that's done, I might post some pictures. If I know how. ???