Author Topic: Any ideas to origin?  (Read 3046 times)

WJS

Any ideas to origin?
« on: July 10, 2011, 02:49:23 AM »
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=239569662

Two firearms for sell together. One is a reproduction of god knows what but the other appears original. Can anyone more knowledgeable than myself give me an idea of the school? The seller is in NE PA. The gun is marked K. Homer. Thanks.

Offline wormey

Re: Any ideas to origin?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 03:11:26 AM »
I can`t see much, but that lock moulding looks Rowan Co. NC to me.  The side plate also looks piedmont north carolina.  Tha patchbox on the otherhand........I can`t tell much, but it does`nt appear to be NC.  From the bids, people in the know obviously see something.  Looks like a good candidate for restoratin and a really good collectable. Wormey

msmith

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 04:31:47 AM »
The lock was made in England by one of the Homer's, a lock making family....The family was from Bilston England,Edward, Edward II ( 1696-1778) , three of Edward II's sons followed the family trade of lockmakers, Richard, Edward, & Baker..Baker Homer was born 1744 died 1796....The K , may be a B...Was Flintlock ,converted to percussion..Naturally the gun is American and looks like a fairly early one, would be a good gun to restore.. Would be nice if he would post some more pictures ....
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 04:39:40 AM by msmit »

WJS

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 11:30:55 PM »
Thank you everyone. It sold for more than I can afford.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 01:12:00 AM »
Huh? I thought you were asking questions as to origin. It certainly wasn't clear that you wanted to buy it. As it was, it went from $750 when you posted the comment, and sold for $950,,, not a heck of a lot of difference.
Sorry you didn't get it if that was your intention.
John
John Robbins