Author Topic: Heavy Barrel Rifle Form the Collection of Jim Gordon  (Read 4666 times)

AntiqueGuns

Heavy Barrel Rifle Form the Collection of Jim Gordon
« on: August 08, 2011, 08:50:37 AM »
Hello fellows, here is a rifle I have had for a while.  The information below is what I was told. Is anyone familiar with this gun?  Any insite on this gun would be greatly appreciated. 

079-511-0857, 14 .5 Pound Heavy Half Stocked Plains Rifle, made by W.R. Strong, and marked on top of the barrel,  with 1855 Springfield Lock dated 1859 with Maynard Tape Primer.  The barrel is .36 caliber and with heavy octagonal barrel, that is 1 1/8 across the flats.  With fine walnut stock that has German Silver and Brass Decorations.  Double set triggers, that need adjustment.  It has a pewter end cap to the forearm, with untouched attractive brown patina to metal surface.  It is 33 3/4 inch barrel.  A stress line opposite of the lock, with a German Silver professional repair to stress line.  The bore is rifled, but difficult to look down it.  This came from the Collection of Jim Gordon, who has authored numerous books on Western Firearms, include the 3 volume set, GREAT GUN MAKERS of the EARLY WEST. 

oakridge

Re: Heavy Barrel Rifle Form the Collection of Jim Gordon
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 09:28:22 AM »
I don't know anything about the gun, but it looks like W.K. Strong. Could it be the William K. Strong, Big Rapids, Michigan listed in Sellers?

Buffalochip

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 03:46:19 PM »
My first thought was that it is a target rifle--given the barrel weight and small calibre (and not meant as a plains rifle), but I don't see any evidence of tang or peep sight. It does appear to be of northeast origin--I have an Ohio target rifle that is very similar in form. Is the top horn of of the butt plate two piece? I.e., does it show a seam where two slightly different color pieces of brass were joined? You can take an old .22 casing or similar sized object, buff  it to a shine, and drop it down the barrel to help illuminate the barre--should help give you an idea of barrel condition and twist. It may be an old picket/sugarloaf rifle.

GrampaJack

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 05:34:10 PM »
There were quite a few Strongs in Ohio but a quick look didn't produce any with a first name beginning with "W". I'll look some more later. I do believe the lock is from an 1855 Springfield musket. If so the lock would have condsiderable value by it's self. Jack

mkeen

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 08:05:02 PM »
There's a William K. Strong of Michigan in the Virtual Museum and Library. The stamped name is a match.

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 01:30:57 AM »
Agree it is the Michigan Strong. I asked Robles if I could use these pictures in the 2nd edition of Michigan Gunsmiths on which I'm now working. So far have heard no objections. Here is an exerpt:
Strong, William K.,  Big Rapids, Bay City   1872 - 1884 (reference Sellers, Gardner and Mich State Gazetteer for 1875, R.L. Polk)
Mecosta and Bay Counties. Bay City 1875 "gun smith, State, Upper Big Rapids". Jon Stamp, of Rockford, has done extensive research on W.K. Strong. Material abstracted from his work is presented here. Strong made percussion guns, including over/under rifle/shotguns, using a mule-ear side lock. One of the rifles used a barrel marked ENTERPRISE—JAMES BROWN & SON—PITTSBURG—.  The 1880 census shows William K. Strong, Big Rapids, age 70, gunsmith, born in Connecticut, with wife Kittie A., age 48, born in New York. Their adopted daughter Delia, 18, was apprenticed to a dressmaker in the city. Two younger children in the household, John G.13.and a boy ?Alphia?, 11,  were both born in Indiana. In November 1883 William K. Strong married a Susan B. Pitcher Miller, in Reed City, Osceola County.