Author Topic: Suffered Depreciation  (Read 8639 times)

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Suffered Depreciation
« on: July 18, 2011, 06:24:58 PM »
Folks, I don't know where to post this, other than here. I'll move the topic if inappropriate.

A friend of mine is searching his past relatives, and one of his ancestors lived during the Revolution. He has no records of service DURING the rev, but records exist before and after the conflict. He thinks he was at Valley Forge, but has not discovered any rosters yet.

this is an entry in the records: suffered depreciation, 1781

What does that mean?

Any pointers to research this, or historical forums that would be more appropriate, I'd appreciate.

Thanks,

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

mjm46@bellsouth.net

Re: Suffered Depreciation
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 07:15:44 PM »
Was there any values listed in the depreciation? I don't think the term has changed it's meaning since the 18th century. My guess is that it may refer to losses of goods or properties that he suffered or that he was a very prosperous individual who made literally nothing while with the Continental Army. Or that he wasn't a soldier and his property was confiscated or siezed by the Continentals to feed and supply soldiers.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 07:55:11 PM »
My buddy just corrected me, and said his man suffered DEPRADATION.

That sounds a lot worse. Maybe they are the same terms? I think he received 200 acres of land after the war.

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 08:20:54 PM »
That means he was raided doesnt it? By the brits or the native Americans?
Some troop had at him anyway it sounds like? The immediate region surrounding him should have experienced similar incursions as well?
TCA
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 08:47:23 PM »
More info from my friend as I put the pressure on:

This info below from the current DAR records. Other DAR records from Ohio say 2nd PA Regt. Paid off at Ft. Pitt in 1775 for Dunsmore's War service. Owns land in Washington Co Pa in 1787, then in Ohio in 1804 until he dies in 1829.

Frazee, Jonathan, Ancestor #A204958
Service: PA Rank: Patriotic Service
Birth ca: 1758
Daeath (ante) 6-15-1829 Poland Trumull County, OH
Service SOurce PA ARCH, 3RD Ser, Vol 22 P702
Service description: Suffered depradation 1781
Residence 1)City: AMWELL TWP: Washington Cty- State, PA
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 09:00:39 PM by Acer Saccharum »

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 09:04:42 PM »
He was depraded? Like, property stolen or destroyed by the Brits during the war? That would make sense. Then he's recompensed with a parcel of land?

woodwright

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 09:05:07 PM »
In this case, it probably means some of his property was confiscated by the British for their use. It could have been his livestock or grain to feed their horses or any number of other things or a combination of things.

woodwright

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 09:17:38 PM »
There are a number of documents for Jonas Frazee and wife Sarah on Footnote.com. I believe they offer a free trial of their web site.

Offline Stan

• stanhollenbaughgunsmith.com
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 10:21:40 PM »
Go online to the Pa. archives and look for "depreciation pay".

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 11:42:12 PM »
There is a Valley forge web site. Valley Forge muster roll . That may be helpfull.   JIM
JIM

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 12:00:28 AM »
He was depraded? Like, property stolen or destroyed by the Brits during the war? That would make sense. Then he's recompensed with a parcel of land?
Acer,
Tell him to go to the county records of the county/counties that he thinks he lived in during the time he was "depraded". In Virginia, and I would assume other states, anyone having a claim against the state related to the Rev War i.e. food, forage, supplies etc would have to file a claim in the county court for payment. I have found loads of information on my ancestors by searching these records. The ones in Virginia are listed as "Public Claims" and I assume other states would have similar names. Evidently repayment for losses incurred were also claimed in this same court. John Gillespie's brother-in-law was killed by a British ball at NC battle and the claim for his lost rifle was listed in the Botetourt County VA "Public Claims" it was dated several months AFTER the incident but referred back to the loss date.

Another good place (especially if militia) is pension records, again of the state in which he resided at the time he joined/served.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 12:25:17 AM »
Depredation, may also mean that he was a POW of the British, and confined until the cessation of hostilities. or a trade of prisoners.  As Artie from laff in would say "Very Interesting"

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Bull Schmitt

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 03:15:05 AM »
                Abstract of Graves of Revolutionary Patriots, Vol.2, p.  Serial: 11912; Volume: 4:

Name:    Jonathan Frazee
Cemetery:    Pleasant Grove Cem
Reference:    Abstract of Graves of Revolutionary Patriots, Vol.2, p.  Serial: 11912; Volume: 4

The Official roster of the soldiers of the American Revolution buried in the state of Ohio :
    Vol I Official Roster
Pvt. 2nd Pa Regmt 1776 under Col Walter Stewart. Br 1750. Mar Mary _____ (1749-1834. D 1829. Bur Pleasant Grove. South of Youngstown Ohio. Ref PA Archives Series 5 Vol 2 page 837. Fur infor Mahoning Chapter.

Vol II Addenda:
     Frazee, Jonathan  - Mahoning County p 147
     Said to have been born in Chester County PA. His father was also a Rev soldier. Wife's name Mary Bradford dau of James. Also served as a Ranger. Ref: PA  Archives 3rd Series Vol 23

Virginia's Colonial Soldiers - Lord Dunmore's War 1774:
    Lt David Enoch's roll includes a Jonathan Frazee.

Hope this helps. There is a ton of info available on Ancestry.com if you are a member.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 04:08:15 PM »
Thanks, guys. I really appreciate your suggestions.

Tom

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 06:18:15 PM »
   http--www.americanrevolution.org-south.pdf - www.americanrevolution.org/south.pdf

The term is used in this research... I did not have time to find it but found the report excellent!!!

De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 07:03:08 PM »
Here is an interesting link to an auction document on rev war depreciation.

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/2531256
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 09:58:45 PM »
Here is an interesting link to an auction document on rev war depreciation.

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/2531256

Oh that is excellent..depreciation is different than depredation.....

De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2011, 03:01:18 AM »
I knew I had heard the term depreciation lands used locally.  It turns out that the guys in my muzzleloading building class attend functions at this local museum. 

http://www.depreciationlandsmuseum.org/

Aleppo Township was incorporated as a township on June 7, 1876, from the western section of Kilbuck Township. It was part of the Depreciation Lands reserved for Revolutionary War veterans. Sparse settlement occurred in the 1800s, and Aleppo Township lost land that formed the boroughs of Sewickley Heights, Glenfield, and Haysville.[2]

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.