Author Topic: Horn and Strap question  (Read 5459 times)

Offline Jerry V Lape

Horn and Strap question
« on: November 05, 2008, 08:42:08 PM »
Didn't want to hijack the Horn and Strap  thread  by Snyder so I started a new one for this question.  I have an interest in learning how to do the finger weaving shown in the strap.  Have tried to find some specific instructions about finger weaving before without much success.  Can anyone point me to instructions or to someone who might be amenable to helping me get started with finger weaving?

keweenaw

Re: Horn and Strap question
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 09:10:48 PM »
Jerry,

There are a couple of books on finger weaving, but none that I've seen of the type Tom did with the hemp on that tumpline strap.  Even with the strap in my hand and some magnification I can't figure out how he did some of it.  A good book that will show you the basis of finger weaving straps and sashes is by Alta Turner called Finger Weaving: Indian Braiding.  You can find it at bookfinder.com or abebooks.com for about $6.50 including shipping.  It's a small, well illustrated book that will show all the basic techniques.  Another book that shows basics of finger weaving along with basic quill work techniques, how to weave cedar or basswood bark bags or how to build a birch bark canoe is by Carrie Lyford called Ojibwa Crafts.  It was originally published by the bureau of indian affairs in 1943.  You can get a trade reprint of it through bookfinder for about 8.50 including shipping or an original copy for about 10.50.  I have the original version, fascinating reading.

Tom

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 09:11:30 AM »
Guys,

The main part of the strap is not finger woven, it is twinned. Only the smaller width part of the strap is made by finger weaving. Jerry, you need to look for instructions on both twinning and finger weaving.

Dave Kanger, TOF, used to make some very nice twinned shooting bags.

Randy Hedden
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 05:54:01 PM »

Jerry, this is an example of card weaving, just another alternative. Google, card weaving, there is plenty of information on it.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 10:07:36 PM by Tim Crosby »
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Ohioan

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 06:00:30 PM »
Robby what type of thread did you use in that? 

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 08:34:05 PM »
Ohioan, It is pure linen, I cant remember the weight. I purchased them pre dyed. With use the straps become very supple, but still, very strong.
         Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Peashooterjoe

« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 10:52:41 PM by Peashooterjoe »

JohnnyM

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 05:49:16 PM »
The Book of Buckskinning VI also has a rather comprehensive primer on finger weaving as well. It is available from Scurlock Publishing, the publishers of Muzzleloader Magazine.
Regards,