Author Topic: The Brazing Book  (Read 4088 times)

Rasch Chronicles

The Brazing Book
« on: August 15, 2011, 03:17:37 PM »
Hi everyone!

Another cheery and trouble free day has passed me by...almost, with nothing more than almost getting shot by an Afghan. Really, just par for the course.

Just so you fellows don't think that I just frolic and pas the time without doing something useful, I found this:

The Brazing Book

It's pretty thorough and hi-speed from the bits I read. I thought some of you might find it useful also. Once I read it I'm sure I'll know more than I did so at least that will be helpful!

I'm thinking this ought to be in a reference section, or maybe tutorials, but I figure more people will see it here.

Best regards,
Albert “The Afghan” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles™
Feral Bull Fighting: Another Chronicles Adventure!
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 02:19:08 AM by Daryl »

ironwolf

Re: The Brazing Book
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 03:34:21 AM »
  Does look fairly useful.  Many principals just like silver soldering.

K

76 warlock

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 01:36:46 AM »
Silver soldering is brazing.

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 02:33:42 AM »
Just read a bit - looks like a great book. What Taylor and I call silver soldering, we understand is called silver brazing in the United  States.  I do not know if the term silver soldering has to have the qualifier of brazing to signify high temperature silver solder.

When we, of the Frozen North, talk of soft silver joints, we say "low-temp silver soldering" and straight silver soldering, ofr us, means high temp.

Dad taught us that good, sliver solder joint  ie: a1 mil (1 thousandths) joint would have a tensil strength of 75,000 to 95,000psi, depending on the wire used. I do know the teeth on those huge circular saws used in saw mills have the tungsten teeth merely silver soldered to the round wheel. They get dull, but the solder joints rarely break, no matter what they hit. Silver soldering sights onto a barrel is not normally necessary  -  low temp silver, or even properly done 50/50 solder is good enough. I used low temp silver for the front ramp on my .458 which lasted for over 14,000 rounds.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 11:15:40 PM by Daryl »

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 09:02:04 PM »
  I have seen references that divide the difference in soldering to brazing, at the 800° level.  I don't really know, but that's what I've seen. I have come to use the term silver bearing solder for the common soft type that has like maybe 5% silver, or a tad more, and silver braze for the high tem stuff like Silvaloy 355.

ironwolf

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 01:46:03 AM »
  Yes Wick, that is true.  There's a molecular difference in the binding/bonding mechanism around that temperature.  The soldering of stuff in the lower ranges binds only the very outer surface of the base metals.  In the higher ranges as in silver and brasing there is a microscopic penetration,for lack of a better word.. I'm sure others could explain the metallurgic differences better than I.

Kevin