Author Topic: Black Powder and Suppliers  (Read 25192 times)

Rasch Chronicles

Black Powder and Suppliers
« on: July 30, 2011, 10:50:19 AM »
I spent another restless night due to the all night partying of our Talibanana neighbors, so I thought I would do something constructive. I went looking for all the black powders that are available and as many of the distributors as possible. Now I did skip a couple of the bigger players like Bass Pro Shops; I really try to buy American first and support local craftsmen and businesses.

I was really surprised by a couple of things. There aren’t that many black powder manufacturers, and for some reason, I really thought that I would find some boutique BP artisans. I don’t know why I thought that, but in my mind I expected it. So now that I have found a muzzleloader niche market just waiting to be filled, don’t be surprised to see some  Albert “One Eye” 4F Pistol Powder, or “Three Finger” Rasch Fg Musket Powder in the future...

I did find something interesting, and that’s Jack’s Powder Keg Black Powder. It’s made by GOEX and is best suited for reenactors and blanks, or if you are a cannoneer. Good stuff and at a very good price too.

This was another great exercise and I learned a whole lot from it.  I hope it something you all can use too. Again, if I missed a supplier, please let me know and I’ll plug them in too. I did skip some that do not have web presence, but we can add them as you bring them up.

It would be really neat to have a discussion on powders and folks results with different brands.

And don’t forget my post on Barrel Makers and Suppliers Post

Black Powder Suppliers:

GOEX Black Powder Made in America
Distributors of GOEX Black Powder:
Track of the Wolf
W.A. Murphy Inc.
Powder Inc
Jack’s Powder Keg
Back Creek Gun Shop
Graf& Sons
Nor’West Company
Premium Powder and Pyrotechniques
Bear River Powder P.O. Box 2853. Evanston, WY 82931 307- 789-3613 or 307-679-0886. E-mail: bearriverpowder@allwest.net

Schuetzen Powder LLC Imports: Schuetzen, Wano and Swiss Black Powder
Distributors of Schuetzen, Wano, and Swiss:
Track of the Wolf Swiss
The Back Creek Gun Shop
Buffal Arms
Crater Fireworks & Blasting
Main Powder House
Upper Missouri Trading
Powder Inc

Distributors of KIK Powder: Made in Slovenia
Powder Inc
Nor’West Company

Distributors of Diamondback Powder: Made in Brazil
Jack’s Powder Keg Back Creek Gun Shop
Powder Inc
Premium Powder and Pyrotechnics
Crater Fireworks & Blasting

Distributors of Skirmish Powder:
Powder Inc
NOTE: More Info on Skirmish. Skirmish is a lower grade of Goex and is repackaged by Powder Inc. “Made by GOEX” appears on the can. It is possible that it is the same powder that is used by Jack’s Powder Keg.  It appears to be a soft and dirty powder with little or no glazing. Source: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=32496

Distributors of Jack’s Powder Keg Black Powder:
Jack’s Powder Keg (It’s really GOEX 5FA, and is a 3FFF equivalent. It is used by reenactors in both muskets and canons, and it comes in a really cool can!)

Distributors of Elephant: Currently unavailable
I read that Elephant was made in Brazil in the factory that is now making Diamondback. I also read in several places that it was a very poor powder.

Best regards,
Albert “Yes, I am still in Afghanistan!” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles
The Range Reviews: Recreating the 18th Century Powder Horn
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 10:31:24 AM by Albert Rasch »

Offline alyce-james

Re: Black Powder and Suppliers
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 04:22:46 PM »
Great post Thanks for the interesting information on the most current powder manufactures and their suppliers. Jim & Alyce.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 04:40:19 PM »
It's always a pleaasure!
I receive far more than what little I can give to these forums!

Best Regards,
Albert “Afghanus” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles: George Washington, President and Fisherman

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 06:36:18 PM »
My next powder order will be Jack's Battle Powder.  The price is great and Mike Nesbitt, Muzzleloader Magazine, did a test along with Goex and posted equal to noticeably better ballistics with "Jack's".  Great powder, great price; can't beat that.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Danny Jones

• Danny Jones - retired telecom eng.
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 01:28:53 AM »
Albert, again I want to thank you for your service. I corresponded with the Jack's folks a number of times. It should be made clear that while their battle powder is a great price it is made, primarily, as a reenactor powder. It is really not refined to the point that it could reccommended for projectiles. They still have pretty good prices on Goex. This might be clear in the previous posts but if someone is looking for a hunting powder a little more research is in order. The Jack's folks (not far from me) seem like good people to do business with and are quick to answer any questions about their products. I missed Mike's test of Jack's battle powder and if he tested it with ball/bullets and says it is great I stand corrected.     Danny
North Louisiana

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 02:28:09 AM »
He wrote of experiencing equal accuracy and higher velocity in some guns.  Also velocities were very consistent.  That and the price convinced me.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Danny Jones

• Danny Jones - retired telecom eng.
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 05:37:36 AM »
If you, or anyone else, get your hands on some I would really like to hear what you think of it. Great price and about 2 hours from me.  Danny
North Louisiana

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 07:31:38 AM »
Great to have lots of people commenting on things like this!

I really want to know about that GOEX Express. I have in mind a 32 to 38 caliberTennessee rifle that I want to drive tacks with. If I read about it correctly, it's made to a "higher" standard for consistancy. I have to do more research on it.

One more thing, once I write more than what will fit in the window, I can't see what I am writing, nor can I make adjustments; it just jumps up and down! I added a line about Skirmish Powders. The source is: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=32496

Regards,
Albert A Rasch
Wild Pigs: Not Tough Enough to Face Ol' King Coal
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 09:42:14 AM by Albert Rasch »

Daryl

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 06:42:56 PM »
Jumping screens - look to the right of the address bar - see the page with the tear across it. Click on that and move the cursor away. The page should turn solid blue. That will stop the page from jumping.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 02:15:29 AM »
Hanshi,
Before you jump to soundly onto Mr. Nesbitt's band wagon, remember who pays the writers of such "experiments". I would be buying a little and finding out for myself.
Mark
Mark

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 03:10:40 AM »
Hanshi,  I've been using Jack's BP for about a year.   I can't tell any difference in appearance, performance or cleanup from Goex 3Fg.   The stuff is unglazed (which Mike N said might result in easier cleanup - if it does, I can't tell it).   According to my chronograph, it gives a bit more muzzle velocity, maybe 50 or 100 fps at the loads I shoot.   When I bought my case, it was available in 25 lb lots only in a rifle granulation (cans are marked 5FA Unglazed) or as a cannon granulation, and mixing a case of Jack's and Goex wasn't an option.    I think Jack may attend reenactments in the Gulf Coast area, where you might be able to buy in smaller lots in person.   SCL

Offline bgf

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 03:20:45 AM »
If Jack's is made by Goex, then won't it have the same limited supply problem everyone is expecting for Goex soon, especially at so good a price?  I'm looking forward to trying a pound of Graf's 3F soon -- anybody try/like it?  I seriously doubt is is Swiss performance at a Goex price, but some people have told me that it is a little "peppier" than Goex.

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 04:46:17 AM »
BGF,

I'm just guessing here, but it's a different formulation that is usually used for a different purpose. Maybe they have plenty of it after the last mill run?

Best regards,
Albert “Afghanus” Rasch
Don’t get Snake Bit!!! But if you do…

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 06:45:29 AM »
Daryl!

It Worked!!!!  You have no idea what a chore it has been. That's probably the best thing that's appened to me in a long time, except for maybe that near misss a little while back.

Thank you very much for explaining that to me!

Best Regards,
Albert “Afghanus” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles™
Preserving and Tanning Small Hides

William Worth

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 02:42:01 PM »
I wonder if Jack's Battle Powder is essentially Goex 5FA.  The Goex web site lists 5FA as intended for fireworks powder.  A dealer that is no longer with us used to sell 5FA as 3F.  I have no complaints about and liked the $7/lb. that it cost.  I do use it as a rifle powder.  5FA's particle size ranges a little above and below that of 3F.

I re-read the original post and see that Jack's -IS- 5FA....I'll go quietly now....
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 02:44:29 PM by William Worth »

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 07:35:56 PM »
Lindu I believe is the name.  Made in China.  I expected more since they're supposed to have invented the stuff.  Not to crazy about it supposedly came from friendship

Rich

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 10:37:12 AM »
Rich,

I've read nothing but bad things about it! But I didn't find a supplier either! Supposedly it's nothing more than firecrack powder divied up by granulation size.

I remember reading that Ross Seyfried purchased some old ("Vintage") English powder that is supposed to be the cat's meow. But I haven't found that either. Sure do want to know more about that GOEX Express though. I intend to buy a 50lb lot of Goex (I would only buy American, though I have heard that Swiss is pretty darn near considered the best right now.) powder for load development, 40lbs of 2F and 10 lbs 3f or 4f depending on what folks think is appropriate for primeing powder.

Might buy some of that Jacks for fun though, I like to take people shooting with me so they can have the experience. Always trying to be an ambassador to the shooting sports!

Best regards,
Albert “Yes, I am still in Afghanistan!” Rasch
Hunter and Angler Fact Sheet

Offline Herb

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2011, 07:03:44 AM »
Do you have Bear River Powder of Evanston, WY?  Craig Kirkland is a Goex Master Distributor.  I've bought two cases of powder from him and a few other cans.  See his ad on page 9 of the Sep-Oct 2011 Muzzleloader Magazine.
Herb

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2011, 10:32:58 AM »
Herb,

I have added them. Thanks for the heads up!

Bear River Powder P.O. Box 2853. Evanston, WY 82931 307- 789-3613 or 307-679-0886. E-mail: bearriverpowder@allwest.net

Best regards,
Albert “Afghanus” Rasch
The Range Reviews: AGI Armorers Course AR15
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, 12:59:41 AM »
  I think Jack may attend reenactments in the Gulf Coast area, where you might be able to buy in smaller lots in person.   SCL

Don't mean to get off topic, but where could I find a listing of Gulf Coast Events ?

northmn

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2011, 05:28:39 PM »
Need to check some threads from a while ago on Express.  Mad Monk made some comments on the stuff.  It ahs not taken the BP world by storm like Swiss has as it is not the same quality as Swiss but close to the same price. 

DP