Author Topic: Pecatonica River Hawkin Halfstock  (Read 9591 times)

Jumpy

Pecatonica River Hawkin Halfstock
« on: July 31, 2011, 04:30:23 PM »
Have just about decided on this as my next build but with some reservations. I want to build a good representation of this wonderful rifle. Has anyone built this Hawkin from Pecatonica's components or have first hand knowledge? There are large holes in my Hawkin knowledge bank so wade in with all openions please.

Rasch Chronicles

Re: Pecatonica River Hawkin Halfstock
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 05:58:09 PM »
Jumpy,

You might want to check out Don Stith's selection too. Among the many rifles I would eventually like is the Lewis and Clark expedition 1803 model rifle. Don's is far more correct (from caliber to actual dimensions) than the other offerings I have seen.

Albert

wetzel

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 08:07:31 PM »
Jumpy,
I'm far from an expert on the Hawken rifle, but would second what Albert said.  Most would agree that Don Stith is the leading authority on the hawken.  His kits are similarly priced but are based on actual hawken rifles.  You could buy a blueprint from Don or others carry them as well and then piece it together as close as you could.  I attended a seminar put on by Don a few years ago at Dixon's and it seems that most Hawken's had a tapered barrel.  A tapered barrel really does add to the balance of the rifle.  When you add wood to the price from Pecatonica River you are at the same price as a rifle from Don.

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 08:26:23 PM »
After having shot Taylor's latest .62 Hawken, I'd say that the closer to the originals they get, the better they most certainly become.

I suggest something under .58 for that hooked butt plate - like a .50 or .54.  .54 is a good size - low recoil and powerful enough for most anything NA has to offer. Too, it's large enough to give good long range accuracy, should the need or desire occur.

Jumpy

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 09:00:49 PM »
Albert, Many thanks for mentioning Don Steth. I'll certainly be contacting him soon.
Thanks to all you fine people who replied to my post.

ironwolf

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 12:00:46 AM »
  Have to agree with Daryl and Albert both. I would seriously recommend the Jim Gordon books "Great gunmakers for the Early West". Also some images online at  www.bbhc.org  Go to the firearms link the the virtual museum. Guns are listed by the makers name.

Kevin

Offline flehto

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 12:06:43 AM »
The top rifle is a Stith S. Hawken and the bottom one is a Pecatonica River "Hawken"......Fred

Offline smoke

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 04:24:21 AM »
They look very close to my untrained eyes. I would go for the tapered barrel

Offline flehto

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 04:37:05 AM »
Both rifles are .54 cal. and the Stith 36" lg bbl  has a !"-7/8" taper. The Pecstonica has a 32" lg, 1" straight bbl. The Stith is lighter and has better balance. The Pecatonica is more comfortable to shoot because of a much shallower crescent buttplate which allows a normal hold in lieu of a mandatory upper arm hold w/ the Stith. Both were the same amount of work except that the Stith req'd breeching the bbl whereas the Pecatonica bbl was breeched......Fred

Offline Captchee

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 06:10:29 AM »
 Dic will breech the barrel if you pay for it . Otherwise the barrels come threaded and you have to  set the breech .
 you also can get what ever barrel you want  all you have to do is ask Dic .

Here is a Pecatonica  Hawken. She carries a  39 inch , 54 cal C swamp  barrel
 The under rib was a whoooole lot of fun   to get  fit correctly so as to not be bowed to the barrel .
 here is the ballance prior to adding the underrib . which actualy didnt change things all that much
 and no its not touching the table

also this is one of Dics Grade 2 stocks .
 nice figure and it was nice hard maple
 I  it should be noted that  when I built this I also left the mortises alittle large and turned down the  butt plat at the toe  along with adding the swamped  barrel so as to make it more along the lines of one of Gustuvus Erichson’s guns  instead of a true  Hawkens .
 the fella i built it for also wanted one of those pinapple patch boxs . so i had to add that .
past that , if a person wanted  to recreat a hawkens . the pecatoncia hawkens IMO would be a very good choice as offered . even better with a tapered barrel

« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 06:39:29 AM by Captchee »

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 06:24:03 AM »
Rich,

Are those archery butts I see behind you?

Best Regards,
Albert “Afghanus” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles™
Preserving and Tanning Small Hides

Offline Captchee

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 06:36:31 AM »
Rich,

Are those archery butts I see behind you?

Best Regards,
Albert “Afghanus” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles™
Preserving and Tanning Small Hides

assuming your asking me . but  im Charlie.
 yep they are archery targets
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 06:38:28 AM by Captchee »

jcovais

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 05:03:21 AM »
I know I sound like an Idiot, but what is the difference between a normal hold and an upper arm hold???

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 05:36:54 AM »
  Normal hold is on the shoulder, like with a modern rifle. The upper arm hold is with the butt piece set between the deltoid and bicep, due to the crescent shape of the Hawken butt piece. I shoot my .64 Hawken and my .54 Hawkens from the upper arm and find them very comfortable. A proper Hawken will mount with the sights perfectly aligned every time.
                            Dan

Offline Bart

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 08:26:07 AM »
Jumpy, I sent you a PVT message.

Bart

jcovais

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 03:49:29 AM »
thanks for the clarification Dan'l.......I appreciate it