Author Topic: Wyomissing Creek Gunmakers  (Read 2969 times)

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
Wyomissing Creek Gunmakers
« on: August 03, 2011, 05:06:30 PM »
Reginal Hartman, a relative of Fichthorn and Pennypacker families, has provided this historical reference:

http://www.mohntonpa.com/history/gunmakers.html

Hurricane

Offline eastwind

Re: Wyomissing Creek Gunmakers
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 01:00:39 AM »
I' m glad someone else has  recognized the Wyomissing Creek gun and barrel makers. I do not know Mr. Hartman, but be glad to talk with him.

The list he sent in is from a Barry Nelson, a history teacher from a local high school, who inspired his students in 1976 to install pewter signs through-out the area indicating the location of gun makers along the Wyomissing Creek. Although Nelson missed a few gunsmiths the project was unique in recognizing early gunmaking and I know of no others like it. Those signs are now being restored and new ones being placed by the Industries of Wyomising Creek Historical Society of which I am a founder and trustee.

A tour of the signs and the area gives firearm history students a real understanding of gun barrel making from 1750 well into the late 19th century - the terrain, the water power needed etc. and I suggest anyone try to make the tour. The nearest town is Mohnton - a town out of a time warp, I was born there and my GG grandfather was barrel maker Cyrus Hornberger. He was trained by his Mother's brother, Henry Deeds - another prolific gunmaker. Deeds other sister married a Worley, another gunmaker on the Creek. Cyrus' best friend and co-hort was William Pannebecker who lived in his house. The point here is the amazing interplay between gunmaking familes, that we often overlook. I dont know of any other town or creek that housed as many gun barrel factories (27) than the Wyomising Creek, outside of Reading.

Incidentaly, 3 out of the 4-5 Wolfgang Haga rifles in my exhibit in Reading in 2009  had barrels made by William Pannebecker I on the Wyomissing creek, which gives even more evidence of early gunsmirths NOT making their own barrels.
Patrick Hornberger

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
Re: Wyomissing Creek Gunmakers
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 04:17:21 PM »
Welcome Patrick
Hurricane