Author Topic: Late George Kopp rifle  (Read 5744 times)

Kopp

Late George Kopp rifle
« on: August 26, 2011, 05:49:09 AM »
Several months ago a friend here in western PA let me snap a few photos of his "George Kopp" rifle. He bought it at auction many years ago. I had never seen a Kopp rifle with these characteristics, and it was a relatively small gun compared to other Kopp rifles I've seen, so I forwarded the photos to Bill Vance who publishes the OWR-CSA Newsletter.

He said this was indeed a late George Kopp rifle, typical of his post-civil war work. George had started using parts from catalogs in some of his later work, thus the "toilet seat" commercial patch box.

Any thoughts/comments are welcome.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 05:51:42 AM by Brian Kopp »

Offline Curt J

• member 2
Re: Late George Kopp rifle
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 06:59:38 AM »
The "toilet seat" capbox on this rifle is identical to the one on the G. KOPP rifle that is pictured in my book, GUNMAKERS OF ILLINOIS, 1683-1900, Vol. II. That rifle was made during George Kopp's period in Haldane, Ogle County, Illinois (1870-1880), for a man named James Magne.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 03:51:16 PM »
Thanks for sharing it Brian.  Beautiful wood and really great condition. 
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Mark Tyler

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 05:11:37 PM »
Definitely a late George Kopp rifle. Most all of the Kopp rifles I have seen do have beautiful wood. Thanks for posting.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 06:18:42 PM »
Nice rifle

Kopp

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 07:40:47 PM »
This one had a really unique feel to it, and was in really nice condition. It seemed small and delicate/light compared to our Kopp rifles, almost as if it had been designed for an adolescent. My son took measurements, but he went off to college last week and I cannot recall its overall length or barrel length at present. I think it was .38 caliber.