Author Topic: Isaac Haines RCA 81  (Read 1644 times)

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Isaac Haines RCA 81
« on: September 06, 2019, 03:06:50 PM »
Hi,
Other than those in RCA vol 1, are there any other photos available of Haines' famous pristine condition rifle (RCA 81)? 

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Karl Kunkel

Re: Isaac Haines RCA 81
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 03:50:14 AM »
Though not the same rifle, "The Lancaster Longrifle, at the Landis Valley Village & Farm Museum" contains two attributed Haines rifles that share carving elements with RCA 81. Rifle 6 ( pages 6 & 7) has the same carving details behind the cheek piece.  Rifle 22 (pages 8 & 9) shares the same wrist carving design. All images are in color.
Kunk

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 09:30:14 PM »
Hi,
Does anyone on this forum know where that gun is?  Is it in a private collection or museum?  Can it be viewed?

dave

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 12:49:21 AM »
The classic Haines rifle under consideration is housed in the PA Historical Society Collections in Harrisburg, Pa. I assume That permission can be obtained to handle it or at least examine it closely. Some years back it was stolen, but was eventually recovered.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 07:06:03 PM »
Hi and thank you Dick,
I assume PA Historical Society in Harrisburg is the same as the State Museum?  When I search for PA Historical Society I only find their library collections housed in Philadelphia.  There is no listing for a PA Historical Society in Harrisburg.

dave

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 07:27:25 PM »
Hi, just saw this thread.  I can't speak for Dick but it's my understanding that yes, the rifle is or was in the holdings of the PA State Museum which is run by the PA Historic and Museum Commission (PHMC).  That is the organization you'd need to contact to see if you can gain access to it, or if they have photos.  I suspect any photos they may have are those that George Shumway took back in the late 70s.  I'm not positive but I think it's been a long time since the rifle was displayed.  It's been a long time since I was down to the museum, however, so I might be wrong.

You also might try giving a yell to Brad Emig - he may know something, as I believe he did some work for the PHMC a number of years ago.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!