Author Topic: Peter Berry at auction  (Read 15068 times)

Offline debnal

Peter Berry at auction
« on: August 30, 2011, 01:35:00 AM »
A friend just sent me this link, albeit too late! For all those who think there are no great guns still out there. Anyone else see it? Anyone else buy it?
http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/photopanel.cgi?listingid=1200890&category=0&zip=&kwd=

Al

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Re: Peter Berry at auction
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 02:01:18 AM »
Thanks, Al. Wonder what it sold for? Can't have been too much given that the gun has been so badly treated. However, a Peter Berry is still a Peter Berr, and worth having no matter what condition. Wow!
Dick

Offline debnal

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 05:05:36 AM »
I just got a detailed description of the actual gun. Somebody got a DEAL!
Relief carved everywhere a golden age gun should be.
Al

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 02:20:32 PM »
OH, beat up but what a treasure to study
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 02:21:06 PM by Dr. Tim-Boone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 10:24:51 PM »
I picked this rifle up during the Summer but I didn't respond to Al's post at the time and unfortunately the original auction pictures are no longer on line.  This Peter Berry was found in a barn in the early 1950's by the last owner when he was a kid.  The rifle was lying in the dirt and had begun to deteriorate to the point of the wood starting to be punkie, and even rotting in a few places.  The man and his father attempted some restoration, but fortunately for me, they didn't damage the already damaged rifle excessively.  I really hesitated in attempting to restore this gun, but it was a fairly rare Golden Age signed rifle that was mostly there, so I gave it a shot. After six months of work, here are the results.

FK
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 12:04:09 AM by Fullstock longrifle »

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 10:58:47 PM »
Here are a few more shots. Unfortunately the brass hardware (all original except the sideplate) had been cleaned and coated in a heavy coat of varnish, so I removed the varnish and slightly colored it.  I will let time mute the shine.  The wood was as white as chalk from being in the weather, it's amazing what a little bee's wax and lemon oil will do.

FK

Offline lexington1

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 11:17:58 PM »
Wow Frank, that turned out fantastic! I believe this is a perfect example of proper restoration of an historic longrifle.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 11:50:45 PM »
 ;D ;D  Looks like the one I built last year!   Very Nice work!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 01:33:18 AM »
Frank, you have a great gift for restoration.  Your Berry rifle is once again a real treasure to behold! An 18th century golden age treasure with all of the bells and whistles. Thank you sir for saving this classic for future generations and my viewing pleasure. ;D
Joel Hall

GrampaJack

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 02:16:46 AM »
Wow, great job. Bee wax and lemon oil huh?  That I gotta try.  Thanks, Jack

Offline debnal

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 02:17:25 AM »
Frank,
Great resoration and what a great gun!
Al

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 03:25:18 AM »
Thanks guys, I wish I had taken before pictures to compare it to, but unfortunately I didn't.  It will never be a grand rifle, but at least it was saved from the bone yard.  I gotta stop doing these larzarus projects, they're too much work!  

Jack, I re-checked and on this project I used something called Howard Feed-N-Wax, it contains bees wax and orange oil.  I kept putting it on the wood until it wouldn't absorb any more, it brings the color back and it doesn't damage any original finish that's still on the wood. It leaves a satin finish on the stock and it won't hurt the metal parts.

FK
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 03:40:36 AM by Fullstock longrifle »

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 04:42:43 AM »
Frank, a round of standing applause to you for doing what had to be done here and doing it better than anyone could imagine. Thank you for sending in the  photos for us to see. What a grand gun and a super job of saving it.
Dick

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 06:42:43 AM »
What a beautiful rifle!  All things considered, it looks incredibly good.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 05:04:33 PM »
Frank,
  I have always felt that someone who does" quality"  & honest restoration does a great service to future collectors. They also honor the original maker by saying your work is Worth saving. Peter Berry would by proud.     Thanks for saving another one.     JIM
JIM

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 05:12:22 PM »
Other than the chalk white to brown color, and the side plate you mentioned, I don't see what work you did Frank, so can only conclude that you did a grand job of it!

Originally that rifle would have rated right up there with one of Berry's best! And now it can be around for another couple hundred years for collectors to enjoy!

John
John Robbins

GrampaJack

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2012, 06:45:16 PM »
Frank, I ordered some of the Howards.  Appreciate the tip. Jack

Dogshirt

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2012, 07:51:18 PM »
I started using Howards when I redid a friends CVA Hawken. Then I used it on a kitchen
cabinet that I had scrubbed the finish off of (grandkids and crayons ;)) That door looks
better than the rest. I may scrub them all down and re-do with the Howards.

Offline eastwind

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 08:33:27 PM »
Frank: A helluva good restoration. Looks a lot like the Kindig rifle by Berry we have in the Landis Museum EXhibit next month. On top of which we will feature a display of Berry at our table at the Baltimore Gun Show in the lobby area, promoting the Landis Valley exhibit and book.
Hope to see you there..
Patrick Hornberger

PS: What auction was the Berry rifle in???
Patrick Hornberger

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2012, 10:38:23 PM »
Thanks again for the kind words guy's, it was an interesting project.

John, There were a lot of small pieces of wood that needed to be put in, but the rifle is dark and the wood repairs blended nicely.

Patrick, I'll be sure to see your table at Baltimore as well as the Landis Valley exhibit.  In it's day, this was one of the best rifles that Berry ever made, I'm glad that I was able to save it.  It came from a small auction in Pennsylvania, the pictures were terrible and it slid under the radar for most people, but I have low flying radar.   ;)

FK

Offline DaveM

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2012, 02:27:23 AM »
Frank, just saw your post I've not checked this site for awhile.  What a cool rifle and great find!  Nice job, you've been busy!  The domed patchbox is interesting and an early feature -  maybe this is one Berry's earlier guns? 

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2012, 05:38:19 AM »
Patrick,

Can you provide info on the Landis Valley exhibit book?
Kunk

Offline Tom Moore

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2012, 06:28:26 PM »
So naturally I too had to check on Howard Feed n Wax. It's sold at Home Depot fer crying out loud! Something I can actually go and get for a change!! Thanks!

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2012, 06:30:28 PM »
Well done, Frank!
Wayne Elliott

Dogshirt

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 01:24:52 AM »
So naturally I too had to check on Howard Feed n Wax. It's sold at Home Depot fer crying out loud! Something I can actually go and get for a change!! Thanks!

I think you'll like it, and it smells good too! Wife came home after I used it on my GPR after 2 weeks
of hunting and asked me what smelled so good.