Author Topic: Peter Berry at auction  (Read 15097 times)

Offline kentucky bucky

Re: Peter Berry at auction
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2012, 08:35:56 AM »
What a great gun! You need to keep doing this "Lazarus work" ......you obviously know what you are doing. I would give my right....well you know...for a rifle like that!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 08:42:44 AM by kentucky bucky »

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2012, 09:40:40 PM »
My mother used to tell me when I was a kid that I had champagne taste on a beer budget, and she was right.  I realized a long time ago that if I wanted to collect the stuff that I liked, I needed to buy busted up, good rifles and do the restoration work myself.  I was fortunate enough to have a mentor who had the patience (and took the time) to teach me restoration, it's served me well through the years.  Thank you for the positive comments.

FK
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 09:41:57 PM by Fullstock longrifle »

Offline eastwind

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2012, 07:12:54 PM »
RE: Frank Kunkel's  request: The LANCASTER LONG RIFLE book --which accompanies the Exhibit at Landis Valley Museum, Lancaster opening March 11th, can be bought from Eastwind Publishing, 4302 Baildon Road, Trappe, MD 21673. It will be available March 8, 2012... books shipped in orders received. Briefly, it consists of color photos of 60+ rifles, 8 pistols, horns bags and early gun tools. It is 160+ pages --all four color, hardbound with dustjacket. --it cost $65.00 + $5.00 shipping in USA. Limited editions signed and numbered for additional $10.00.

If anyone interested, but cant get to the exhibit - send me your mailing address and I will send you an order card.
Sorry for the commercial ...

Hope to see you all at the Exhibit...

Patrick Hornberger, Guest Curator/Author
Patrick Hornberger

DavidWile

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2012, 10:23:40 PM »
Hey Fullstock longrifle,

If you happen to live in Virginia, I would bet a nickel I am the fellow who sold you this rifle last August.  I am Dave Wile, and I live in Mechanicsburg, PA.  Your story about the kid finding the rifle about 1952 is very close to how I came to own the Peter Berry I sold, and the pictures look exactly like the brass furniture, sroll work carving, and Peter Berry signature on the top of my rifle.  If it is the same rifle, it certainly does not look like the same rifle I sold.  When I sold my rifle, the wood was very bad as you described, and if this is the same rifle, you sure have made it look beautiful.

If you did buy this rifle from me last August, please let me know, and I would be happy to tell more on the forum about the who, what, where, when, and how the rifle came to my possession.  Again, your rifle is beautiful, and I hope it just might be the one I sold.  I would get a great deal of pleasure knowing my rifle ended up with someone who made it such a work of beauty.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile