Author Topic: Side-opening Wood Patchbox?  (Read 5671 times)

Greg Field

Side-opening Wood Patchbox?
« on: November 09, 2008, 09:12:18 AM »
I have always loved the look of sliding wood patchboxes and the look of side-opening brass patchboxes.

Is there any example, historical or modern of a combination of the two, a side-opener with a wooden lid?

Thanks

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: Side-opening Wood Patchbox?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 04:40:27 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

I've never seen such a patchbox lid, but maybe someone else has.

John
John Robbins

Ohioan

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 06:36:55 PM »
I believe, on americanhistoricalservices.com there it an example of an original rifle with a brass hinged, side opening wood patchbox.  I'm not sure which rifle it is.  I'm on my blackberry and can't view that website properly. 

don getz

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 06:48:14 PM »
Nope, never saw one.......Don

Stonefeather

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 07:37:20 PM »
Here's the link Ohioan was talking about:

http://americanhistoricservices.com/html/wood_box_rifle.html

According to this site, this rifle is also shown on plate #2 in Bivins, Longrifles of North Carolina.

Greg Field

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 08:01:40 PM »
Wow. Thanks. That kind of what I'm thinking, except I was going to shape the wood part of the lid to be more domed, like the sliding wood lids.

Ohioan

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 10:33:33 PM »
Thanks Stonefeather.

Greg, I don't think it would be hard to create a dome shape on that.  But,  in my mind, it looks clunky.

Evil Monkey

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 10:37:39 PM »
Isn't that really a brass patch box with a wood inlay rather than a wood patch box??

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 10:50:31 PM »
Greg,  The silver and gold trimmed fantasy rifle that Jud Brennan made for Gordan Barlow in 1997 has a side hinged wooden patchbox.  That rifle is featured in the Contemporary Kentucky Rifles volume 1 video by American Pioneer Video and also in Muzzleloader Magazine in the July/August1998 issue.
DMR

Greg Field

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 11:20:33 PM »
David:

Thank-you. I'll try to find some visuals from those sources.

Offline rsells

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 07:06:54 AM »
Check on Mel Hankla's web page American Historical Services  under antique rifles.   One rifle in the group has a wooden side opening patch box.  I think it is listed as wood box rifle.  This is the only one I remember seeing. 
                                                                           Roger Sells

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 04:00:02 PM »
The rifle on Mel's site does really qualify as a brass box w/ wood insert, as the box lid is a heavy and fairly thick casting made specifically for a wood insert.  Kind of like a rectangular tray.  If I remember right, and I'm not sur eI do but I think I do, the brass inlay on top (in the wood) is a like a washer which holds the wood in place and is screwed or riveted to through the wood and casting like a toothpick in a sandwich.  I'll have to go take a look at Mels site again.  I think that box is one of the neatest things going!
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!