Author Topic: Lower buttstock moulding help  (Read 6629 times)

Offline Tom Currie

Lower buttstock moulding help
« on: August 30, 2011, 11:49:02 PM »
Getting ready to do a double incised lower buttstock moulding on my Lehigh build and need some help. I am trying to do something finer than I have in the past and in looking at KRA photos closely it's pretty apparent they were done by a scratch stock of some sort. Thing is they all have some level of taper from the bottom flat to the moulding. Closer at the rear trigger guard  and farther from the flat near the toe. So either the flat wasnt used as a guide or the flat was trimmed down afterward near the TG end. I'm a bit apprehensive about the scratch stock method but feel I couldnt get a consistant fine moulding otherwise. Thoughts and encouragement welcome.

Offline fm tim

Re: Lower buttstock moulding help
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 12:23:17 AM »
Decide on how much taper you want.  Lets assume 1/4 inch as an example.

Cut a piece of wood as wide as the botton width of the stock, and about 1/8 inch thicker than the taper.  3/8 inch in the example.  It should reach from the butt plate to wherever the moulding should stop.

Taper the piece of wood to 1/8 inch at 1 end and 3/8 inch at the other giving a 1/4 inch taper.

Place the piece of wood on the bottom of the stock with the THICK end near the triggerguard and attach with clamps along the length.

Run scratch stock along the attached wood.  It will produce a line that is 1/4 inch closer to the bottom of the butt stock at the trigger guard end because the attached wood is thicker at that point.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 12:46:02 AM »
That's the plan for a complex molding.  On some originals the complex moldings not only taper closer to the toeline as they approach the guard but also become less wide there.  I have not figured out how to do those using a scratch stock.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 02:09:38 AM »
For me, a scratch stock wouldn't work well since the angle of the stock at the toe line changes dramatically from the wrist to the butplate.  I suppose with some stock forms it might be possible.  I think the best solution is to just treat it as carving. 

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 04:55:36 AM »
Hi Tom, I agree with Jim.  By the time you do all the nutsing around with a scratch stock, you could have it carved.  How about a checkering tool, or bead tool?  I'm not sure what the molding looks like, but they might work for you.

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 05:21:07 AM »
I use a small scratch stock to put in tapered butt stock molding. It is just a  formed scraper with a different contour on each end (for different moulding styles).   Since I usually do not want the molding to run parallel to the underside of the stock, I run the tool against a straight edge held onto the surface of the stock with commercially available double sided mounting tape (1/2 wide by ~1/16 thick).  It holds very well but peals back off cleanly and easily.  Once the scraper is run along the edge once or twice, there is enough form scraped into the stock so that the tool will easily follow the groove and really not need the support against the straight edge.  The tape / straight edge can be placed at any angle desired and, since the tool does not run along the underside of the stock, it can easily follow the change in stock contour from butt plate to wrist.  I find this much easier than carving and it produces a much more consistent molding shape.  The molding in the photo was produced by less than a dozzen strokes with the scraper and takes less time to do than it takes to write about.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 11:30:13 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 04:00:09 PM »
David, One more picture of the straight edge in place would be very helpful for us mechanically challenged...please.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

keweenaw

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 04:07:57 PM »
Dave's scratch stock is a neat piece IF one wants to cut a molding per se.  On many guns the second line is simple an incised line and not molded into the first. Those are easy to put on with a flexible straight edge to draw a fine line and then cut it with a checkering tool.  (Truth is I usually don't use a straight edge, I just hold the pencil and gage the distance with my finger tips running along the bottom of the stock.) This also allows you to slightly change the angle between the lines.  On many guns the molding gets narrower toward the front and if the accent line parallels the first line it looks kinda weird.

Tom

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 10:56:09 PM »
Actually, when I look at most Lehigh guns, it appears that their lower butt moulding lines don't taper towards the front anyway.  They usually appear even with the bottom line to me.   ;)

When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 11:35:18 PM »
mr. pierce
 a single tooth scratch stock and 2 separate wood tapers would be the answer.  run your top line then switch to another wood taper with a slightly different taper for the bottom line.
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Offline kutter

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 01:12:31 AM »
I use checkering tools,cause I already have and use them alot in other work.

Most of the ckr'g tool makers sell a 'jointer'. A single line tool with a very long cutting edge.
It's used to correct mistakes or near mistakes in checkering where a line spacing is off.
The long cutting edge makes it easy to straighten out the offending area of the line (if you don't go too far).

Use a jointer for cutting a long straight single line.

Then you could use any number of border style checkering tools  which are available for different styles of mullered, spaced, doubleline, etc borders. Use the jointer line as the guide for these.

All you need is a straight line to follow to begin with.

.....but I have to admit that stock scratch moulding tool is neat!

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 03:30:01 AM »
Dr. Tim,

I'm on the east coast right now.  I will post a picture for you when I get back to the shop.

Dave C
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 03:13:31 PM »
THANKS guys for the advise and ideas, all of them have substanial merit. I'll likely try a few differnet ideas on scrap first.  A single incised line I would cut/carve  myself but the double line is what is really new territory for me.

Offline fm tim

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 05:07:46 PM »
Plan B

Do not use a scratch stock to start.  Start with incised lines then widen them with a checkering tool or v gouge and either carve desired moulding or run shaped scraper (from a scratch stock) to follow the incised lines.

A measuring gauge type tool will mark the lines a fixed distance from the bottom of the stock or from the tapered piece of wood.  Mine is a block of maple with a hex wrench sharpened and held by a bolt in a tapped hole.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 06:09:30 PM »
I just draw mine on with a pencil and cut them out!   ;D
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."