American Long Rifles Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2014, 04:09:27 AM
Home Help Login Register
News:

View the Most Recent Posts
View the ALR Mission Statement
View ALR Rules and Policies
Donate to ALR via US Mail or PayPal

+  AmericanLongRifles Forums
|-+  General discussion
| |-+  Gun Building
| | |-+  Sitting Fox muzzleloading kits
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sitting Fox muzzleloading kits  (Read 3646 times)
Rainman
Starting Member

« on: September 14, 2011, 08:14:03 PM »

Anyone ever used a kit from Sitting Fox Muzzleloadrs?  If so how are they?

Semper Fi,
Dan Raney
Shovelbuck

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 08:54:10 PM »

I put together one of their fowlers a couple years ago. I felt it was a good deal.
camerl2009

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 09:51:39 PM »

there nice and at a good price i mite order there blanket gun
Rainman
Starting Member

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 10:04:26 PM »

Thanks for the replies.

Semper Fi,
Dan Raney
Model19

Why read fiction, history is fascinating enough

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 07:04:53 AM »

My kit took roughly 8 months to get here, and it was missing a nose cap, which they said they would send right out, but it has never materialized.  I'm too tired of waiting and playing e-mail tag to bother trying to get it at this pint.  The parts are all the usual stuff made by other folks.  It arrived in a box with a different companies return address on it.  They are nice, but they winter in Florida and summer in Michigan, so things get a bit convoluted at times.   The reason for slow delivery was put down to a backorder on the barrel.   Probably true enough.

Strawberry Banke, Greenland and Falmouth
Anthony Brackett's roots go deep
mattdog

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 08:42:58 AM »

If you look closely at the pictures on his website you'll notice a confusing difference between the furniture on his finished guns and the parts in his kits to build that same gun.  How do you know what you will really get?  
bonron

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 10:49:43 AM »

Rainman:   I purchased a "Isaac Haines' in the white from Sitting Fox. It was represented as having a small worm hole in the forearm and a 2" crack in the stock extending from the muzzle cap. These defects were alledgedly repaired by Sittting Fox. When I got it the worm hole had grown to about 1" in length and about 1/4" in diameter. The 2" crack in the stock had grown to about 8" in length. Now, I'm not accusing anyone of fraud or misrepresentation or anything like that, but, I will not buy anything further from them nor will I recomend them. The old saying, " Caveat Emptor", applies here and I learned a expensive lesson.

buy cheap - get cheap.
bonron

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 12:18:15 PM »

Rainman:   I would suggest looking up Tip Curtis or Jim Chambers for kit information. These people have a good reputation and won't steer you wrong. There are surely other suppliers out there that are equally reputable. Maybe some of you guys can help Rainman find some one closer to St. Louis. Good luck

buy cheap - get cheap.
Robert Wolfe

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 12:54:08 PM »

Northstar is good too depending on what you are looking for.

Robert Wolfe
Albert Rasch

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 01:19:01 PM »

Small community where your reputation is only as good as the last thing you sold.

Chambers, Stith, TVM all have very good reputations and stand behind their products.

Best regards,
Albert Matamoro Rasch
The Range Reviews: Recreating the 18th Century Powder Horn
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Standing Ready when the Wolves Growl at the Door...
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles
54Bucks

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 01:25:11 PM »

Albert I'de add Wayne Dunlap and Cabin Creek(Brad Emig) to that list of Kit/component ets. Brad and his son are also good builders.
Waksupi

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 09:05:48 PM »

I'd stay away from them. I'm just finishing up a rescue of one of their "kits". Cheaper to buy, twice as much work.
Dr. Tim-Boone
Global Moderator

I Like this hat!!

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 08:54:38 AM »

Here's what I think guys..since we dont want to be a forum where people get bashed and flamed.... Shocked. its fair to describe a problem or challenge with a purchase without making a personal attack..........Someone may be able to help you fix the problem...... Smiley., even better if you just deal with the supplier...  its always more useful to talk to someone rather than about them. Smiley Smiley....... we all have reputations and those reputations get built as much by what we say and do as what others say about us.......
Be VERY careful about generalizing from one bad situation........one mistake doesn't necessarily mean there will be many more.... Give the person you purchased from a chance to be a hero and make it right for you.......If I had listened to all of the negative whining about suppliers on the web when I started building guns I would have had to make every part myself..... I am too old for that....... and I would have missed out on some great items and terrific friendships........  Be very wary of steering folks away from a supplier/competitor as what goes around comes around.... Cry

you can leave your offering at the door..... I am done preaching.....

De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming
James

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 08:57:35 AM »

Well put Dr. Tim-Boone

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry
Waksupi

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 09:58:31 AM »

In my case it wasn't one instance. I personally know of three others that dealt with this source, with quality problems.
Bill-52

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 10:10:01 AM »

Rainman,

You might also consider one of Jim Klein's kits (jklongrifles.com).  Jim is in Michigan; I was very pleased with my Peter Berry kit.

Bill
Dr. Tim-Boone
Global Moderator

I Like this hat!!

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 10:46:55 AM »

Rainman,

You might also consider one of Jim Klein's kits (jklongrifles.com).  Jim is in Michigan; I was very pleased with my Peter Berry kit.

Bill

I will second that!!!  Plus Jim is a great guy and very helpful!!

De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length