Author Topic: Mike Miller Custom Tulle  (Read 17840 times)

Daryl

Re: Mike Miller Custom Tulle
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2008, 02:27:46 AM »
Snuffer- you make a good point about the smoke - however I like it, as it indicates a cleared vent as I pour the fresh charge powder down the bore.  Too, just before I dump the powder down the bore, I like to see the smoke trailing or trickling up out the muzzle.
:

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2008, 03:39:23 AM »
Yesterday while firing off blanks in my Dickert about everyother block we covered in the July 4 parade, I noticed how the smoke would float out the muzzle  for quite a while.

I will admit that I had the notion to blow down the barrel but I knew I shouldn't with all those eyes, young & old watching me.  Many of the young ones watching the parade I taught in Hunters Ed class.  I knew it wouldn't be a very good signal to send to them (or anyone for that matter) by blowing the smoke out of the barrel.  Especially after telling so many not to do it in the hunter education classes...

And I do apologize for getting off topic.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 03:44:52 AM by Candle Snuffer »

PINYONE

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2008, 11:57:54 PM »
The best way to put out the fire in the barrel is to throw it in a river, pull it out stomp it - run over it in a truck, pick it up dust it off and reload- no problem, that is they way I do it, never had a problem-pinyo PS- rifle is a little damp and scratched up.

northmn

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2008, 01:29:33 PM »
I think I ahve mentioned this before but at a Bemidji shoot a few years ago, one of the people blew down the barrel as we all did.  They used to even teach it to see if teh bore was clear.  He must have had only a partial charge go off, we do not know what as he did shoot.  Maybe he did not seat a ball and thought he shot?  He blew down the barrel and got his face burnt and his eyebrows singed.  Had he not been wearing glasses, likely he would have had his eyes burnt or burnt powder in them.  He did not blow out any burning embers he increased the burning kind of like you flint and steel fire starters do when you get the tinder going.  That taught us all a lesson and we would not permit it any more nor do I do so.  It is not an issue that deserves the arguement I have heard on this forum.  The clubs officers did not wake up one day and decide they needed another rule, they did so for a darn good reason.

DP

Daryl

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2008, 04:48:06 PM »
If there were cool embers in the bore, seating a patched ball would fan those embers to life and the charge would go off as he loaded the ball. Taylor and I saw this happen to a friend - badly burnt his hand is all.  This taught him to use a thicker patch that didn't burn in the bore.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2008, 04:52:55 PM »
I think I ahve mentioned this before but at a Bemidji shoot a few years ago, one of the people blew down the barrel as we all did.  They used to even teach it to see if teh bore was clear.  He must have had only a partial charge go off, we do not know what as he did shoot.  Maybe he did not seat a ball and thought he shot?  He blew down the barrel and got his face burnt and his eyebrows singed.  Had he not been wearing glasses, likely he would have had his eyes burnt or burnt powder in them.  He did not blow out any burning embers he increased the burning kind of like you flint and steel fire starters do when you get the tinder going.  That taught us all a lesson and we would not permit it any more nor do I do so.  It is not an issue that deserves the arguement I have heard on this forum.  The clubs officers did not wake up one day and decide they needed another rule, they did so for a darn good reason.

DP
Dave:: Thanks for posting this.