Author Topic: M&G Locks  (Read 7442 times)

Offline A.Merrill

M&G Locks
« on: September 21, 2011, 12:15:53 PM »
    While at Friendship this past weekend I bought a stock an barrel from Tip Curtis.
    I was looking at his locks and Tip came over, opened a case and showed me a lock made by M&G. It looked to be as long as a small Siler but not as wide, the internal parts were smaller than a small Silers, easy to bring to full cock and the sear returned to the same position thru the cycle and VERY smooth. I asked Tip if it thru a lot of sparks, he took a gun down from the wall cocked it and let me trip the lock, plenty of sparks and a lite pull on the single trigger. It is called M&G classic and they come in small an large.
    I had planed on buying a small Siler, but this lock is sweet. The only thing is I have no experience with these locks other than this.
    Have any of you used these locks or know anybody that has???    AL
Alan K. Merrill

Offline Bart

Re: M&G Locks
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 12:24:21 PM »
Hi, I believe the M&G Lock is a new item that RE Davis Lock Company is selling, you can go to their website and see it. You also can call the owner Tim Tressel and talk with him, he is a nice guy and he markets some really nice looking locks. I have not yet used a Davis lock but I have heard they work just fine.

Bart

oldiemkr

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 03:59:55 PM »
I beleive M&G is Larry Zornes Mold and Gun shop in southern Ohio. I've got one of those locks around here somewhere but I have not used it.

I saw a post somewhere that some early ones had some problems but the problems seemed to have been worked out.

Larry has some nice furniture castings taken from some early guns. I suppose he makes and assembles the locks too but I can't confirm that. i'm sure he could fill you in with a call.

Birddog6

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 04:29:07 PM »
That is true, Larry builds those MG Locks. Very nice lock. Thicker bolster which I think is WONDERFUL, and all locks should have thicker bolsters, IMHO........  I have tried one small MG Classic a few years ago.  The lock cocks very easy, very smooth, the internals look great.  It is a nice lock.  My only hold back for me is  the warranty......  If they would put a Lifetime Warranty on them, they would sell 5 times as many locks.......  And IMHO, if the lock is quality , the increased sales would bound way past the cost of a repair now & then.

Keith Lisle

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 05:56:30 PM »
Does Larry have a website or contact number?

Rich

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 07:32:03 PM »
The small siler lock plate is 4-3/4" x 7/8".
R.E.Davis has 3 variations of the  M&G classic  on his website. The lockplate on all of them is 5-3/16" x 7/8".
This makes them a bit longer than the small siler, but just as wide. Is there a smaller M&G lock thats not listed on the R.E. Davis website?

Best regards
Rolf

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 10:43:19 PM »
    Tip Curtis had four of these M&G classic locks in the case. One classic looked to be as big as the Chambers large Siler in the case above. The other three, one with a all steel lock plate an pan, one with a steel lock plat and brass pan and one with a brass lock plat an pan.
    Now these three smaller locks looked to be close to the size of a small Siler, the only thing I seen that was diffrent on the M&G was the bottom edge of the lock plate is stright,( giving it a longer and slimmer look ) it does not have the small belly the Siler locks have below the sear, smaller internal parts and a larger bolster. This should give a gun a longer and slimmer look thru the lock area. Don't you think? I'm getting ready to build a poor boy with a 13/16 barrel and I believe this is the lock I will use to get that long slim look. Wish me luck and THANKS to everybody    AL

P.S. Call Tip Curtis at 615-654-4445 ask him about the M&G locks, tell him the bald guy that bought the poor boy stock an barrel at Friendship  tolded you to call  ;D
Alan K. Merrill

Old Salt

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 01:11:38 AM »
A few years back I bought an in the white rifle from Tip Curtis.  It came with the M&G classic lock.  It is about the same size as a large Siler but narrower as mentioned.  The only problem I had was the temper of the frizzen spring.  After replacing the spring the lock has functioned flawlessly for the last 3 or so years.
It is very easy on flints, very fast and throws plenty of sparks.

Leo

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 03:28:06 PM »
I have one of the M&G locks on the late Lancaster squirrel gun I am building.  It seems to be of excellent quality, and was very smooth in operation just as it came off the shelf.
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 07:33:32 PM »
I have one of the M&G locks on the late Lancaster squirrel gun I am building.  It seems to be of excellent quality, and was very smooth in operation just as it came off the shelf.

Who built the lock Curtis??
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 07:52:12 PM »
Tim, I bought the lock from Tip Curtis, and it has the "Z" on the inside of the lockplate - which I am guessing is Larry Zorne's mark. 

Here is a pic of the partially assembled lock in the gun.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 02:41:15 AM »
    Rolf, R.E.Davis only has the larger size.

SquirrelHeart, show these guys a pic of the inside of the lock, please.    Thank you    AL
Alan K. Merrill

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 06:47:32 PM »
Do you have the size of the small lock plpate? I'm allway interested in options for pistols.

Best regards
Rolf

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 10:00:40 PM »
    Rolf, no sorry I don't. But it would make a good pistol lock. I talked with Tip Curtis he said, The lock plate is a little bit shorter than a large Siler and a little bit longer than a small Siler, BUT it is not as wide as a small Siler. I saw this lock in two diffrent guns at Tip's stand. The lock area of the stock looked very nice do to the wider bolster and a slimmer lock plate.
    Tip says he uses this lock with 7/8 and 13/16 barrels.    AL
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 10:01:18 PM by A.Merrill »
Alan K. Merrill