Author Topic: "The New York State Firearms Trade" 5 vol sets for sale  (Read 4565 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
"The New York State Firearms Trade" 5 vol sets for sale
« on: September 25, 2011, 01:33:37 AM »
“The New York State Firearms Trade” by H.W. Swinney.  This is a five-volume set that originally sold for $600.  References from these volumes are often cited on the website. One of our members met a guy at a show and he has 75 copies for sale @ $210 per set.

Our member had this to say about the books :

I briefly looked at Volume 1 and it seems to be a quality printing with mostly color photographs.  As of this morning there were 75 sets still available.

Sounds like a great find and if you are interested in his contact info please email met at tdg23113@verizon.net and I will put you in touch with him. We don't know him or have any information other than what I have told you so proceed with caution.
Dennis

« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 03:16:36 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Frank Graves

Re: "The New York State Firearms Trade" 5 vol sets for sale
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 10:57:27 PM »
For what it's worth, I have ordered a set for this reasonable price.  FYI - Seller wants $20 postage which seems reasonable to me for about a half ton of books. 

As soon as I get them, I'll relay my experiences with the seller

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 05:10:31 AM »
I bought a set right after Tom Rowe had them published.  They were $450 at that time.  They are among the highest quality gun books I have seen, and contain an incredible amount of research on New York State makers.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 06:10:39 AM »
I ordered a set of the New York books after seeing the posting here for the $210 price. Postage was $25, rather than the $20 posted. The books arrived today, in good shape and well packaged in the original double walled shipping carton. I'm probably like most collectors. I wanted a set to fill out my library, but the price was simply too high for books on New York guns where my interest isn't nearly so great as with Kentucky-style longrifles. But at this price, they are affordable, and after seeing them this morning, I'm tickled to get them and set them on a shelf in my den with all my other gun books.  Now I don't have to e-mail Curt Johnson when I need to check on a possible NY gun. My only question is, NORD, HAVE YOU ORDERED THIS SET YET? If not, blow the moths out of your wallet and get going.  Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 10:34:42 PM by Tanselman »

Offline Frank Graves

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 09:23:29 PM »
I agree with Shelby and his experience.  This set is really a great deal.

Offline nord

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 10:31:29 PM »
Shelby,

After shorting me for that lunch you've owed me for the last two years I haven't the cash available for such luxuries. ;D

Oh... Just in case you may have missed the point, some very fine "Kentucky" or "Pennsylvania" rifles were actually built by NY makers. We tend to forget that my little part of NY was once claimed by Connecticut and even when all the borders became settled our gunsmiths paid little attention to a line on the map.
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 02:42:43 AM »
Geeeze Nord, if you eat as much for lunch as this set of books cost, I'm glad I've been able to "duck" you for a year or two. Funny, you never looked that big or hungry. So what's your real excuse for not putting these books on your shelf, in particular since you live where these rifles are made? I don't even like New York guns and I bought a set for reference purposes. Of course, when properly stacked, they make a good booster chair for grandkids. Goes back to moths in your wallet, doesn't it?  Shelby

Offline nord

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 04:57:05 AM »
The pot calling the kettle! Get out your wallet, fumigate for moths, then have a look at the pictures on all those large denomination notes. Most of those guys were still alive when you tucked them away ;D.
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline chuck

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 09:46:18 PM »
Great set