Author Topic: Samuel Baum revisited  (Read 7613 times)

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
Samuel Baum revisited
« on: September 29, 2012, 04:43:19 PM »
    About two years ago a butt stock of  a very nice Upper Susquehanna rifle surfaced.  The stock had two rather large "gold fish" inlays.  There was much discussion re the maker and the originality of the fish inlays.  It was decided that the relic was part of a gun produced by Samuel Baum.   Two photos of the relic butt stock are posted below.
     Subsequently, the relic butt stock, the cut off original barrel (signed S.B. 1823,) and a short piece of forearm w/ one ram rod pipe was purchased by a collector.  I was challenged to do a complete restoration and return the gun to as near original condition as possible.  It was indeed a challenge in that all the silver (except for the one fish) had been removed from the stock.  The comb and toe plate pieces with many piercings were cut and fit into the original inlets w/o enlarging the original inlets.  I gathered many photos from books, plus photographed a number of original Baum rifles at the Lewisburg show.  I grafted in new wood, made the inlays, etc., and used an original lock plate that fit the original lock mortise.  The holes in the original lock plate were welded up and new parts fit as necessary.  The barrel had been cut at the breech just shy of the name plate.  A new piece of barrel was carefully welded in and aged to match the original.  The owner of the rifle is quite pleased and asked that I post the end result.  I know that some will disagree with this level of restoration, some with any restoration.  I present the results as an example of a fine old gun that is now a prized possession of its owner.

"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Tom Currie

Re: Samuel Baum revisited
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 04:50:03 PM »
Ron, Looks like he picked the right man for the job. Certainly looks worth saving to me. Thanks for posting.

Steve-In

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 05:17:18 PM »
Very nice, well done.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 06:25:49 PM »
Amazing.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 07:21:52 PM »
Great job, Ron. I love it!
Eric Smith

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 12:40:33 AM »
Sam would be proud Ron!  I doubt he would have ever thought his work would be so honored
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline rf50cal

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 03:44:22 AM »
A challenging project with a very pleasing result.
Roger Fleisher

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 05:00:33 AM »
A wonderful restoration job on a grand rifle!!! You did it in spades. Congratulations, and our thanks for letting all of us see it. Standing ovation to you and the owner for bringing it out here.
Dick

Offline alex e.

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 08:22:35 AM »
Wow! an inspirng level of work.
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 04:23:06 PM »
Before the restoration most everyone who saw it would say. " That used to be a great rifle." They can't say that any more.   I believe Mr. Baum would be pleased.  JIM
JIM

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 09:36:42 PM »
Lucky, I can't quite tell from the photos of the carved area as they appear on my computer, but it looks like the terminals/lobes of the 'C' scrolls have been colored darker. Is this the case? If so, I have seen only one other maker who did this; Henry Hunsicker, an Allentown maker. Oddly, he moved west to the Upper River area at some point in time. There is at least one fine rifle by him that has the carving enhanced by the addition of a dark stain in certain parts.  It too, has incised carving. Thanks.
Dick

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 05:29:57 AM »
I agree, a fine job done there, Ron! And congratulations to the owner for having it done.
As it was, it might well have been lost to us, but now will certainly be around for many many years to come, and for future collectors to enjoy!

John
John Robbins

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 01:05:53 AM »
Lucky......considering where the stock was broken, you did a whale of a job adding new wood there.  Overall, the gun
looks great.   I don't like your choice of trigger guards, but, on the other hand I can't remember ever seeing one similar to
Samuel Baum on Reeves table.   Will we ever see this gun on your table, or was it done for a customer?.........Don

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 03:56:43 PM »
    Thanks for your appreciation of the effort to return this fine old rifle.  These things are always a challenge, and with so many different views on restoration, I wasn't sure how this would fly.  I really like John's view, especially after his efforts on the Dickert rifle.  Dick there are no darkening or staining of the ends of the C scrolls etc.  The gun certainly is a product of Samuel Baum.   Don, you are correct that finding a "correct" trigger guard is difficult, and further compounded by the fact that a variety of trigger guards are found on original S. Baum rifles.   The one I chose started life as a Peter Berry guard and was then much modified to get to the guard I copied from an original I photographed at Lewisburg.  The hardest thing of the project was making the patterns, and then cutting the silver (sterling) to fit the original mortice's.  It was a slow go, fraught with disaster, but ultimately worked out.

Best wishes   

Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline tpr-tru

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 03:39:07 AM »
Ron,     For sure Foxy is up there ---BRAGGING---to Sam how he knew you as Ron.    Beautiful work, again.  TB

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, 09:16:46 AM »
   Thanks Truman, I feel like I am working a midnighter tonight...gettin' old sure ain't for sissies...

Bob Pearl

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 01:20:01 PM »
Baum would have been pleased to know his creation has been completed. You must be self taught in restoration as this idea of old finish is not favored by Govt. restorations or museums. Only advanced private collectors seek this level of restoration. Great job! and thanks for posting.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 03:14:24 PM »
For a kid, you're doing some pretty neat stuff.   Heck, I have shoes as old as you.........Don