Author Topic: Amish Gunsmiths??  (Read 23449 times)

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
Re: Amish Gunsmiths??
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2011, 03:07:38 AM »
Indeed! According to Whisker's Gunsmiths of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, Abraham Newcomer was a Mennonite, and married to the daughter of the aforementioned Martin Meili (Meilin, Meylin)!

:)
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

mkeen

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2011, 06:24:38 AM »
Mennonite gunsmiths-Lancaster County, PA
Martin Meilin Jr. definitely a gunsmith, no matter what anybody says. His father Martin Meilin Sr., is open to debate.
Abraham Newcomer, he married the widow of Martin Meilin Jr. and took over his gunshop.
John Newcomer - Hempfield Township
John Line - Conestoga Township
There are others, but still being researched.

On the Amish question. The original question stated  making early rifles, but did not give a date. I'm really busy with the farm right now but will supply some exact info later. Initially the Amish were very few in number compared to other pacifist sects and arrived at a later date. Some of their earliest settlements were failures. They were not involved in the trades to any great extent. Farming was their main occupation. I know of no early Amish gunsmith.

Mart Keen

Teun

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2011, 01:43:16 PM »
Thanks for the info fellas!

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2011, 04:47:59 PM »
I have two friends here in Indiana and both trace there roots to one of the twelve original Amish families of the Anti-baptist reformation. (hope I spelled that right).  One has a bible with a birth date of 1842 who was born before the family emmigrated.  The other's ancestors settled in Lancaster County Penn.  Last name is spelled Dohner.  His ancestors helped settle Lancaster Co. before the revolution.  Approx 1740's.  He is not sure about the history of gunsmiths in his family eventhough he is one himself.  I will try to keep looking as well.

Online tomjanemc

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2011, 12:51:09 AM »
Several Amish & Swiss Mennonite gunsmiths were working in Ohio during the mid 19th century. Two of these gunsmiths lived 2 miles from my home in Pandora, Ohio (Putnam County) and one was located in Winesburg,Ohio (Holmes County).
 The research on John Moser and Peter Geiger of Putnam County can be viewed on web site - www.aolrc.org  . Select the publication tab on their home page and view the Feb 2000 newletter for Peter Gieger article and Nov 2000 newsletter for John Moser article.
 Research on Reuben Yutzy -Holmes County Amish gunsmith can be found in newletter Feb. 1994.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2011, 06:49:08 AM »
Anabaptists. Quakers, Hutterites, Amish, Mennonites, Brethren mostly. Wikipedia has a good summary:

Anabaptists (Greek ανα (again, twice) +βαπτιζω (baptize), thus "re-baptizers"[1]) are Protestant Christians of the Radical Reformation of 16th-century Europe, and their direct descendants, particularly the Amish, Brethren, Hutterites, and Mennonites.
Anabaptists rejected conventional Christian practices such as wearing wedding rings, taking oaths, and participating in civil government. They adhered to a literal interpretation of the Sermon on the Mount and believer's baptism.
The name Anabaptist is derived from the Latin term anabaptista, or "one who baptizes over again", in reference to practicing adult baptism, because, as a new faith, they baptized converts who already had been baptized (as infants) in the older Christian churches.[2]
Anabaptists required that candidates be able to make their own confessions of faith and so refused baptism to infants. As a result, Anabaptists were heavily persecuted during the 16th century and into the 17th by both other Protestants and Roman Catholics.

Sorry, no mention of gunsmithing. ;D

"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

ShipshewanaIndiana

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2012, 01:51:21 AM »
Watched a Rueben Yutz rifle sell in Goshen yesterday for $29,500.  They had no problems finding bidders to push it above $20,000.  The rifle was used, wood nice some pitting on the lock.
http://lewisandlambrightauctions.com/struberpics.html

ShipshewanaIndiana

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2012, 02:55:50 AM »
The area (Elkhart and LaGrange County) is home to the third largest amish community (pop 20,000).  There are many descendants of Reuben Yutzy in the area.  The community knew about the rifle because the owner was an amish taxi driver and had taken it to family reunions.  So when it came up for sale, people were excited.  I had my car full of amishmen when I drove to the auction.  Those bidding on the rifle were descendants, although not amish.  I'm sure it was the same situation when Cowan's Auction sold one in Ohio for 24k back in 2007 or 2008.  Nice gun, but maybe 2,500 tops with anyone elses name on it.  I guess the moral is... if you find a Reuben Yutzy rifle, buy it and sell it in an Amish community.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2012, 03:12:57 AM »
I know some Amish that build guns today.  One lives up near Mill Hall, Pa.    Years ago I received a phone call from a guy,
he told me what he wanted and I should send him  a note when it was finished and he would come down and pick it up.
I finished it and sent him a note.   Next week a van pulled into the parking lot, and this Amish fellow came into the shop,
gave his name.   When he called he didn't really sound too dutchy, but sure enough he had black pants with one suspender, a black coat, and a straw hat.  Had a lot of fun with him, also now see him at Dixon's every year......Don

Offline Luke MacGillie

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2012, 02:48:47 AM »
There are more Amish at Friendship these days than Buckskinners ;D

I have no idea if they spend any money, or just come to see all the English folks who try and live olde tyme, but there have been times you couldnt make it thru the sheepshed's because of all the Amish.......

Im glad to see them, and Hope they spend money, as the folks at Friendship need it....

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2012, 03:09:08 AM »
 In the 1970's,Bill Large made good number of barrels for Amish gunmakers
in Ohio but I never knew where they were located. I don't recall ever seeing
any guns they made either. Bill said a Mennonite was an Amish man that had
a car but then I never really knew about any of them.My mother in law said
they were a nuisance to her because they always wanted to use her phone but
wouldn't have one in their own homes. This was in Southern Ohio.

Bob Roller

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2012, 03:13:49 AM »
I love your stories and how you tell them Bob!  Entertaining.

Offline AMartin

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2012, 02:02:13 PM »
There was also a Amish gunmaker from the Big Valley , Belleville PA , it's in Mifflin CO . His name was Detweiler ..
Can't remember his first ...

Loren Wengerd owns at least one of his guns and it's very ornate .. nicely done .. A direct relative of his wife ..

« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 02:03:02 PM by AMartin »

C. Cash

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2012, 06:40:56 PM »
Interesting thread!  I live within 30 mins. of Belleville.  As an outsider from the South West, it is always neat to learn more about the folks here.  Good people!

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2012, 05:36:08 PM »
The big Amish settlement in Ohio is arround Sugarcreek and Berlin.  Over here most Eastern primitive Rendevous I have seen Amish come out and look at rifles.  About a year ago I was in the Log Cabin shop and two Amish gents looked to be about 20 something came in with a very plain half stock percussian they said they found in one of their barns they were tearing down.  If I remember right it looked to be about .38 or .40 with a 1 inch or so barrel (remember small bore thick barrel) with an Ohio typish stock profile.  They were looking arround in the museum to see if they could identify it.  Maybe asking the folks at the Log Cabin Shop would get some answers as they have a large collection of Ohio made guns and listing of Ohio gunmakers.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 05:40:36 PM by Chris Treichel »

LehighBrad

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2012, 02:04:51 AM »
Eck villa beir?  Vous da bah stoop??  Consta mecka fawna? Yeowsta yucca bliva. Be hangsht. That's pretty much all the "dutchie" I know.:-)

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2012, 02:27:29 AM »
Det hoert sich aber greuslich on