Author Topic: My wheellock and me number 2  (Read 19122 times)

Paul Hamler

My wheellock and me number 2
« on: September 29, 2011, 06:08:57 AM »
Like many who have been following the wheellock post I have become fascinated  by the mechanism and decided to build one. Having the 1/3 scale Kentucky rifles under my belt I was looking for the next project and decided on a 1/3 scale wheellock puffer. I was fortunate enough to borrow a nice original example to copy. The first step was to draw the parts and convert them into a format that will be used to generate tool path on my CNC machines. This completed I decided to make the chain and wheel shaft first.
I will post the progress on my photo site http://hamlertools.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Wheellock-Project/19154498_pch7Lr#1492336124_nq97RMC
The wheellock project contains many photos of the original lock being dissembled , the build is pretty straight forward...reproduce each part one piece at a time  all at 1/3 scale.

Enjoy
Paul Hamler
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 02:48:26 PM by Paul Hamler »

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: My wheellock and me number 2
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 07:18:25 AM »
Paul, I enjoyed your photo page so far, and am looking forward to seeing the build unfold.  Pls let us know when you have posted some new shots.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Paul Hamler

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 02:30:42 PM »
Taylor, I currently have three ongoing projects and hope to have two finished in the next few weeks, then the wheellock project will become the priority project. I will do a quick post as milestones are completed. I'm sure I'll have questions for you and others that have wheellock build experience.
Thanks
Paul 

raszpla

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 07:10:07 PM »
I offer words of respect!

Thom

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 06:46:29 AM »
What a fabulous forum we have here. I am always amazed.

Thom

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 02:46:32 PM »
Paul,

You do amazing work!! It is so fun to watch you do this miniature work with such precision.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Paul Hamler

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 07:29:24 AM »
I offer words of respect!

Raszpla,thanks ,you have inspired this project.

Tim , for a Georgia boy I try.

I'm making progress. I have decided to make all the parts using scrap plastic model and prototyping plastics, From the plastic models I will make RTV and epoxie molds , this will enable me to cast many lock parts plus it is much easier to machine,carve and detail the parts.

See updated wheellock pictures at
http://hamlertools.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Wheellock-Project/19154498_pch7Lr#1509612131_zD4CGpd

to see the mold and casting process go to  
http://hamlertools.smugmug.com

and look at the pictures under the miniature Lancaster rifle  folder.

Thanks  for looking
Questions and answers are free.

Paul
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 08:07:36 AM by Paul Hamler »

welafong1

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 02:28:57 PM »
your work is truly amazing thank you keep the pictures coming i cant get enough of the eye candy tell me is that a original wheel lock in the first picture  and if so do you have a date to go along with it .i find its some thing to think about that in the 15Th century they had no mills. drills or lathes i wonder how they did it  back then in the 15Th century
thank you
Richard Westerfield
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 04:47:41 PM by Richard Westerfield »

Paul Hamler

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 04:26:01 PM »
Richard, the referenced lock is an original, the owner thinks it is mid 1600.
The lock is in very good condition and has excellent file work on the springs and detailed accent lines through out . The thing that I am most impressed is the quality of file work, there are very few file scratch marks showing.

Makers mark any info or details on the date of the lock??

Paul
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 05:04:45 PM by Paul Hamler »

welafong1

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 06:02:40 PM »
i think that it had to be a lot of casting done on the lock and its parts i thought that they didn't have files in those days apparently they must have had .i guess we will never know how they made them. it some thing how you can make things with what  you have on hand and there's no  machines

thanks for your ear
Richard Westerfield
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 06:06:08 PM by Richard Westerfield »

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 07:16:49 PM »
I doubt castings were used too much for lock parts. Nonferrous alloys could have been cast without too much difficulty and also some iron, but casting steel to the best of my knowledge would have been beyond their technology. Forgings, simple lathes, and a lot of skill with cold chisels and files would have been the answer I imagine.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 07:52:51 PM »
Forging, forging dies, stamping, filing was the tech of the day. No casting of iron or steel in this scale, to my knowledge. The only casting of iron to understanding was in pig iron, and that had to be hammered to work out the impurities. Get enough carbon out of iron, and you have steel.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 09:42:29 PM »
Paul,

Could you tell me a little more about the plastic material you are using?  I have used a high density polyurethane foam to make models of guards and butplates before, but never used plastic like you have shown.  I'd be interested to know more about it.

Thanks,
Jim

Paul Hamler

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 10:46:07 PM »

Jim the polyurethane and epoxy tooling boards are like rifles they come in all sizes ,shapes and colors. Each has it's unique feature, in the above photo the large board that the other pieces are setting on is a long established material called REN shape 450, it machines , carves ,sands fantastic the dust resembles Bondo . Freeman Manufacturing sells REN Shape and other similar tooling boards. I use this for larger models. The yellow block is Butterboard, same type material but is easier to carve and sand,this is usually my first choice when making models. Every model for casting  the brass parts on my miniature Lancaster rifles were made from Butterboard. Mc Master carries butterboard but Golden West is the mfg. and you can sometimes buy drops very cheap from them.
The green stuff is yet another similar material, the reason for using this on the wheellock is it is stiffer and a little stronger than both Ren shape and butterboard.The grey block is what I used to make all the lock parts, this is Metapore and machines like cutting air however the finished product is extremly strong ,almost like powdered aluminum.The front piece is cellouse acetate which was the industry standard before the polyurethane and epoxy tooling boards came along, I will be making the model springs for the wheellock from this ,it will act just like a spring and return to the compressed shape when tension is released. Another great feature is it can be glued up and parts attached with acetone.The other boards can be built and pieced with normal glues as well as superglue.Shoot me an e mail and we can hook up on the phone if you need more info.
Paul

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 12:57:10 AM »
Thanks Paul.  I've used quite a bit if the REN spape 460 and the beige colored stuff (can't remember the density).  For mounts the 460 has worked quite well.  I've even carved it pretty heavily in making English style relief mounts.  It worked pretty good for this, but something with a bit higher density and finer grain might be even better.  How do you think the other products you mentioned would carve?

Jim

Paul Hamler

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 02:02:04 AM »
Jim for carving detail with the best finish it would be the cellulose acetate, second choice would be Butterboard, I can send you a small sample of each if you like. I have used ABS  for some projects but it isn't as easy to carve as the acetate but is more stable in thin sections.
Paul

Paul Hamler

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 08:52:31 PM »
I have a friend that collects miniature guns ,the attached link shows the wheellocks in his collection, he has loaned me three to study as I proceed with my 1/3 scale lock.
I thought you would enjoy the pictures as much as I have.
Paul

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67818220@N08/sets/72157627635732163/

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 09:26:53 PM »
Jim for carving detail with the best finish it would be the cellulose acetate, second choice would be Butterboard, I can send you a small sample of each if you like. I have used ABS  for some projects but it isn't as easy to carve as the acetate but is more stable in thin sections.
Paul

That would be great Paul. I'll send a PM.

Thanks,
Jim

Paul Hamler

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2011, 03:25:31 AM »
I now nave a mainspring  (model) they will be cast in 6130.

To see machining go to below link

http://hamlertools.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Wheellock-Project/19154498_pch7Lr#1492337514_XKZTCVv
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 03:28:24 AM by Paul Hamler »

Paul Hamler

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 07:28:11 PM »
Got the pan roughed out,only 8 more parts left!!

« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 07:30:02 PM by Paul Hamler »

raszpla

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2011, 09:36:47 PM »
SUPER!

Offline runastav

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 08:18:47 AM »
Hi
This is precision DE LUXE :)

Runar

Paul Hamler

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2011, 06:45:39 AM »
There sure are a lot of parts in a wheellock!!!

Great site here...http://www.firearm.ch/

« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 06:49:46 AM by Paul Hamler »

Paul Hamler

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2011, 06:12:44 AM »
I have 3 more parts (models) to make then I'll begin the mold making so I can cast multiple sets of lock parts.

raszpla

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2011, 10:51:20 AM »
I'm dying of curiosity!let me know what are the next steps of the project  :)

greetings :)

Bolek