Author Topic: Promoting Traditional Muzzle Loading  (Read 8839 times)

Candle Snuffer

Promoting Traditional Muzzle Loading
« on: July 02, 2008, 10:21:20 PM »
What do you think of the sign I made for our club's 4th of July float?  It measures 24" x 96"...  Well also have a hawk block and fur trade cannon on our float along with some lively bodies with their smoke poles to fire a blank now and again along the route.  Should be lots of fun. :)

Edd

Re: Promoting Traditional Muzzle Loading
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 10:40:35 PM »
There ya go, CS!! Good post!!

Edd

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 12:45:12 AM »
Thanks Edd. 

I got word today that my friends from Chadron, Nebraska who host Fur Trade Days the week after our 4th of July doings will also be in the parade with a float.  This will be good with lots of eyes seeing two traditional club's floats.  I've been a member of the Chadron group for a long time and am glad to see them join us over here in Crawford - 25 miles west of Chadron. :)

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 01:00:57 AM »
Great job CS. It looks really good!!

Centershot

Offline Hank*in*WV

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 02:16:08 AM »
Looks good CS, but you need some roundball holes in those targets.
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 02:19:01 AM »
Looking good. Have fun!!

J.D.

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 06:05:32 AM »
That is a nice sign, but isn't the float kinda small? There might be room for three people to sit, but not enough room for a cannon or room to shoot off a longrifle.  ;)

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 07:05:43 AM »
LOL, that thing that the sign is setting on is in my living room right now.  Tomorrow it'll go on the trailer.  It was raining today so I had to do my lettering inside. :D

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 04:04:20 AM »
Here is a couple pictures from our parade this morning as we were forming up.  The crowd really seemed to like seeing and hearing us shoot off our smokepoles.  They allowed us to go last so as not to scare the horses.

Our 1st Place Open Class win for our float netted a $50.00 reward of which the White River Brigade will donate to our local Youth Center.  

We had a lot of fun doing this and will be back to promote traditional muzzle loading in next year's parade.  (Actually we promote it year round).  

We had a few new folks show some interest in coming out to our monthly shoots.  All are welcome.  That guy in the red shirt is me.  Many of our WRB members were on other floats and we only really have room for four on the trailer.  My son and his friend were in the back of the pickup thowing out candy.  My wife rode in the truck with a WRB member's wife.  We just had a great time!

Also, note the cannon on the trailer in the second picture.  Jim Potter, Senior State of Nebraska Historian, bought that over out of one of the towers at the Fur Trade Museum in Chadron.  His wife runs the place.  Anyway, it's a brass swivel gun on a carriage mount.  Jim's back is toward us on the left.  Marvin Trowbridge is hiding behind the flag, and I took the picture.  Great folks to share a great interest/hobby with!  

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 04:25:01 AM »
Cool! - Hope it was fun for all - know it most certainly was fun for you guys.

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 03:56:01 AM »
We had a great time Daryl.  Ran out of candy to toss to the kids with about 3 blocks left to go.  I sure thought we had enough, but next year we'll take a bit more with us.

There was lots of folks out for this parade, and there usually is each year.  I heard today the numbers of five to maybe six thousand or more...  Our town only has a population of 1000.  We do get lots of visitors.  It also helps that there is also a Rodeo and tractor pull, and not to forget mentioning the goings on in the city park, as well as the tourist from Fort Robinson (3 miles west) coming into town to watch and take part in the activities.  Probably the biggest day for our little community all year long.