Author Topic: Leather horn straps?  (Read 3312 times)

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Leather horn straps?
« on: November 13, 2008, 09:49:36 PM »
Were most horn straps woven or was leather also used?

Best regards

Rolfkt

jim m

Re: Leather horn straps?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 10:00:09 PM »
I've seeb 2 in a museum that had leather straps, they were in a civil war museum

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 11:19:06 PM »
I'd bet the farm that majority were leather!

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 11:55:56 PM »
That really opens up the question were most early horns carried independent of the bag on their own strap, or hung directly from the bag strap....a cloth strap would hardly work well for a horn attached to a bag strap, especially as the majority of old bag straps are made of leather.

but either way you answer that question, the answer about what the horn strap was made of is most likely "leather". Even though some very famous examples of finger woven type F.I. horn straps exist, I don't think they were the norm....but I wouldn't rule out hanging a horn carried independently with heavy cord.
T.Albert
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 04:23:55 AM »
I think Tim is pretty accurate in his comments. From my observations of the few remaining original straps on horns, or partial straps, leather appears to be the material of choice. I think this might be a situation where the large number of modern reproductions of woven straps, seen more often at shows than leather straps becasuse they offer the chance to show off artistic ability,  has given the impression that woven straps were more common than they reakkt were. I think they were generally the high grade straps, but most straps were made of leather.  Shelby Gallien