Author Topic: Loads for a Colerain Turkey-Choked Barrel  (Read 2758 times)

Offline acorn20

Loads for a Colerain Turkey-Choked Barrel
« on: October 02, 2011, 05:23:20 PM »
I took delivery this week of my smooth rifle that sports a Colerain turkey choked barrel.  The rifle was built by Ed Wenger of Catlett, Virginia.  I can't find enough words to describe Ed's superb workmanship. 

As with any new muzzleloader, I find that part of the fun is working up loads suitable for several yardages and I intend to begin that this week. I've talked with individuals that own a similarly barrelled gun and find that their components seem to vary in their charges. Powder charges vary; some use an over-the-powder card and some do not; some use a fiber wad and some use two over-the powder cards in lieu of a fiber wad; and some use one over-the-shot card and some use two. 

This is the first gun I have that shoots shot and I'd like members of this forum that have a Colerain turkey choked barrel to share there particular favorite load...give me something to shoot for, so to speak.  I'm looking for opinions on how a fiber wad, or lack of one, affects the pattern of shot.  What's the comfortable range with their particular load and so on.  What I'm hoping to see is this, is there any similarity or common load being used for this particular barrel.  All responses are welcome and thanks in advance. 

Dan

Dan Akers

Offline WaterFowl

• Move More= Die Less
Re: Loads for a Colerain Turkey-Choked Barrel
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 01:47:06 AM »
These barrels pattern tight..have 2 .620 barrels mounted on T/C Renegades.
Felt the need for a rear sight due to tight pattern.
Turkey barrels only! (shot)no round balls.
Didn't care for the leading near the choke so I use a pillow ticking patch to hold the shot. cleaner bore after shooting.

load..90 gr fff or 95 gr ff Goex.
  1/8" over powder card .620 no problem getting this card past the .580 bore at muzzle.
1 rectangle shape ticking patch lubed..Hoppes )
1.5 oz. 5 lead shot (hard) or nickle.
1 .620 over shot card.
good killing pattern to 35 yards on a pencil size turkey neck and walnut size skull.

found this to work best with these barrels.

Looking forward to hearing other load combination's.