Author Topic: Taking a break!!  (Read 2654 times)

FRJ

Taking a break!!
« on: October 21, 2011, 10:18:59 PM »
I'm taking a break from getting my barrel and hook breech fitted to stock. Very nerve wracking. First time and I'm scared. I just take slivers off and then re check. Goes real slow but I'm determined to do this right. I'm using lipstick for marking instead  of marking black. The black seems to get all over everything and I'm not sure how I will get it off. The little palm chisels I got from Brownells are working great after I sharpened them. ANY suggestions gratefully accepted!!!!! Even if you call me a complete idiot I will respond with a thank you very much. FRJ

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Taking a break!!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 10:56:50 PM »
I assume you have your hooked breech soldered or JB welded to the barrel and are inletting them together as a unit.  Also I usually solder a piece of brass to the top flat of the barrel near the breech so i can pull it straight up and not lever it when testing for transfer of inletting black (or lipstick).  I usually use straight chisels with a mallet for inletting the breech area.  I have one that is about 1/4" wide and another about 7/16" wide.  Both have fairly shallow angled bevels and I take small bites.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Telgan

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 12:59:29 AM »
Thanks Rich, That is helpful.

FRJ

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 02:08:24 AM »
Rich I had thought of that but didn't do it that way. Although I did do them both together. Please explain the advantage of doing it that way? Frank

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 03:26:52 AM »
 Most of us learned to inlet barrels with fixed breeches and tangs obviously screwed together.  Inletting a hooked breech as a single unit simulates that situation.  If the standing breech and the barrel are mated together as you want them when inletting, they will probably be aligned the same way when locked down.  If not, you might find a gap between the standing breech and the barrel because they got inletted at different angles.
Andover, Vermont