Author Topic: Building wood chisels. steel to use  (Read 20850 times)

WyomingWhitetail

Building wood chisels. steel to use
« on: October 12, 2011, 08:09:34 PM »
so im wanting to build a few wood chisels to use for inletting stocks and other small wood working projects. I was thinking i could start off with maybe 1/8", 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" in both flat and gouges. i was thinking i would make them out of a good tool steel like A2 then heat treat them however i need to. The flat chisels would be easy. find stock close to the right size and file, mill, grind, etc to shape and sharpen and polish. the gouges i was thinking i could mill the inside curvature with a ball end mill of what ever size. then file or grind the outside then polish. I would be interested in any thoughts or opinions on steel to use, sizes and shapes that are most used in building muzzleloaders, and any heat treating processes. 

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Building wood chisels. steel to use
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 09:29:37 PM »
Many approaches to making your own chisels will give you good results.  However there are metallurgy-wise folks here who can do much better and get optimal results.

In the home shop with a propane torch and some fire bricks I limit myself to small stock and chissels and use drill rod that is not larger than 1/4" in diameter. I have also used spring stock and old files, Grobet files being my preference. Larger tools, I purchase new or used.  I have also used industrial hacksaw blades, extra large bandsaw blades, and agricultural steel (hay rake tines).  I heat by eye for hardening and use tempering colors to guide tempering.  These techniques will not give optimal results in edge-taking and holding, but the chisels sure will work. 

If you purchase W2 water-hardening drill rod, this should work for specialty chisels and as stated, it can be quenched in water.  I'd read up a bit or work with someone who crafts tools or knives to get you up to speed.
Andover, Vermont

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 10:06:32 PM »
I will post this one time.  If it's of value to anyone, save it for future reference.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 05:54:44 AM by rich pierce »
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Black Hand

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 09:13:37 PM »
I've had great luck using both cut nails and large masonry nails as chisel stock. 

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 09:33:28 PM »
I've had great luck using both cut nails and large masonry nails as chisel stock. 

I like O1.
You can order O1 and various other alloys from MSC. Also checking with second hand stores will often turn up good flat chisels. Longer versions are always better than short.
I pick up 3 old Swedish made chisels at a yard sale. The largest is almost 2". A large chisel or two is handy at times. My most used are 3/16, 1/4 and 5/16 made from O1.

Dan

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

WyomingWhitetail

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 04:55:37 AM »
Thanks for the input guys.  I think im going to order some 1/8x1/2 O1 and build 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 flat chisels with some turned hardwood handles. then i might try to build some small gouges out of O1 drill rod.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 07:39:00 AM »
Thanks for the input guys.  I think im going to order some 1/8x1/2 O1 and build 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 flat chisels with some turned hardwood handles. then i might try to build some small gouges out of O1 drill rod.

Gouges are a PITA for me anyway.
I would rather buy them than make them.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 03:37:11 PM »
I think im going to order some 1/8x1/2 O1 and build 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 flat chisels with some turned hardwood handles
Unless you really want to make your own, Dru Hedgecock makes and sells the exact set you have mentioned above in either flat or cranked configurations.  They are like $8 apiece.  When you consider the cost of materials and the time involved, they are a bargain.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

WyomingWhitetail

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 04:07:32 PM »
Well i do really enjoy making my own stuff. Im a builder and always have been. Plus if i build the chisel i will have my own time invested into it that will make it that much better because i built it so i could build something else.  ;D

ottawa

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 02:42:25 PM »
if building is your way cool you can make gouges by heating and bending the flat end over a piece of round stock to get the countore or bend in a V shape in the end . faster then milling

roamer

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 06:14:45 PM »
T.O.F.  Thanks for the info on the 'JUNK STEEL'.So many times I have been in a quandry as to what type of steels to use on a projecy .Again thanks

FG1

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 11:00:23 PM »
I think im going to order some 1/8x1/2 O1 and build 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 flat chisels with some turned hardwood handles
Unless you really want to make your own, Dru Hedgecock makes and sells the exact set you have mentioned above in either flat or cranked configurations.  They are like $8 apiece.  When you consider the cost of materials and the time involved, they are a bargain.

Does Dru have a site or email you could give?

Offline John Archer

• I solemnly swear that I am up to no good
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 12:24:16 AM »
Dru Hedgecock
5420 Morris Hill Ave   Phone: (336) 595-4257
Walkertown, NC   
27051-9510   
United States

Best,
John
I cannot be left unsupervised.
(Sent from my immobile dial-operated telephone)

dannybb55

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 01:22:25 AM »
I bought a set of chinese  made small turning chisels on ebay. They have nice wooden handles and a strong tang. When I need a chisel that I dont have, I reforge the steel, quench and grind the edge, then tap the handle back on.

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 01:52:48 AM »
Allen wench make good chisel. and small hook scrapers. Beside I have a cigar box of them.
David
David Veith

Offline whitebear

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 06:20:39 AM »
My wifes uncle in South Carolina was a master woodworker and made his on carving tools.  To make a gouge he would make a flat chisel heat it and lay it on an end grain of pine or fur, hold a round rod of the correct diameter (nail, bolt, etc) and strike the rod with a heavy hammer to form the curve in the gouge.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot