Author Topic: Another source for excellent File Handles  (Read 22087 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Another source for excellent File Handles
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2011, 11:51:15 PM »
I make them from scrap wood on a small hobby lathe. One 1/2" copper connector will make two ferrules for about 30 cents each.

welafong1

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2011, 03:09:38 AM »
i take it that the  1/2" copper connector can be found in the plumbing department at one of the big box  stores ?
thank you
Richard Westerfield

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2011, 08:43:10 PM »
Yep, I buy a contractor pack of ten at Lowe's and get them really cheaply. They have 3/8", 1/2, 3/4 and up/. I need to get some 3/8" for needle file handles.

Daryl

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2011, 01:37:19 AM »
The steel CO2 containers, 12 gram, I think - make very good file handles. Make certain it's an empty one before trying to drive the tank of a file into it.  Lots of pellet gun shooters around- most areas.

Offline Habu

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2011, 11:12:05 PM »
I'm with Eric, just crank them out on the lathe.  For years I was on the lathe every day, and used tool handles to "warm up" before doing any serious work.  A friend asked for a file handle a while back and I gave him a bag of them. 

Compression fittings from a plumbing supply store make great ferrules too.

Jim

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2011, 08:16:55 PM »
The steel CO2 containers, 12 gram, I think - make very good file handles. Make certain it's an empty one before trying to drive the tank of a file into it.  Lots of pellet gun shooters around- most areas.
fantastic!  we use these for fixing flats on the road bike(s), but never thought to apply them to file handles...the kicker is that my bike bros will be knocked out by it.

wine-corks and golf-balls adorn many of my files already.  like the red/pink/orange golf balls--or at least range-striped.  note that the (premium-old fashioned sometimes balata covered) balls with a wound-core aren't the type you want. you want the two-piece jobbies- that feel like rocks when you strike them.  i was a golfer in an earlier life--now they're just targets and handles.
Hold to the Wind

Top Jaw

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2011, 08:27:55 AM »
My son is a drummer and breaks sticks all the time.  These are perfect for smaller files and most of them are hickory.  Go find a drummer and get some of his cast off broken sticks.