Author Topic: Samuel Lafayette Click  (Read 15413 times)

Offline Majorjoel

Samuel Lafayette Click
« on: October 19, 2011, 04:50:07 PM »
I've been reading from  Foxfire 5 the interesting tales regarding this southern gunsmith. Learning his trade in the penitentiary. It reports that he built rifles of a much fancier nature than those most found in the area around Jonesboro. "He made the nicest half stocks--lock, stock, and barrel--that were ever made in the tri-city area."  "He didn't put his hammers on with a screw. He had them on a spindle with a slotted nut on top." His better grade later rifles had patent breechplugs. He made most of his barrels which he always marked. He moved up and down the north Holston River."  The stories about Samuel Lafayette Click's life paint him as a very colorful character! To put it mildly. I am wondering why I have never heard about this guy who worked alongside some of the later Bean gunsmiths. Or, have never run across any of his rifles in print or on this site, or anywhere else??
Joel Hall

Offline Majorjoel

Re: Samuel Lafayette Click
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 08:34:42 PM »
After more than a couple of years past this posting I was notified by a fellow collector of a recent purchase of a nice halfstock rifle that was made by Samuel Lafayette Click. He has graciously allowed me to post pictures of this rifle.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 06:07:06 AM by Ky-Flinter »
Joel Hall

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 08:38:49 PM »

« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 06:07:42 AM by Ky-Flinter »
Joel Hall

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 08:41:47 PM »

« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 06:08:14 AM by Ky-Flinter »
Joel Hall

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 08:49:45 PM »
         Joel,
Sorry for the delay in my response. I acquired this rifle Friday at the Tennessee Kentucky Long Rifle Show at Norris, TN.  I have the Foxfire book and was aware of the maker, but like you, I had never seen one. I was told that this rifle was formerly in the collection of Jerry Noble author of the Notes on Southern Long Rifles series of books. The rifle is in the "Ohio rifle" style circa 1870-1880. Very unusual for upper east TN.  Although, it would make sense as he was building these for wealthy land owners in the area, who would probably want the latest "fancy" style (conjecture on my part).  The rifle is a half stock with a 37 1/4" octagonal barrel of smaller caliber .36-.40 (I haven't gauged the barrel yet).  The barrel is signed on the top behind the rear sight S.L.C.  The front sight is brass. The hardware is "store bought" brass patch box, brass buttplate, brass trigger guard, and brass side plate. The key plates, entrance pipe, and ramrod pipes appear to be pewter.  It sports a single stage set trigger. The hammer on the cap lock is attached precisely the way that it is described in the book with the spindle and slotted nut. The fit and finish is outstanding. I have taken some photographs for you, but I don't know how to attach them. Could you instruct me? Would you rather me email them to you?

Thanks for your interest,
Joel Hall

hammer

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 09:06:02 PM »
 East India Company guns used this hammer nut for a while in their 'F' Pattern Musket.   It was called a Bun Nut.  Supposed to ensure the lock could only be dismantled with the special Sergeants tool.  Or\and because it was a stronger fixing.  Probably also a lot easier to make and to thread.

Offline mountainad82

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 09:44:35 PM »
Thanks Joel for posting photos of my Samuel Click rifle.
-Adam

Offline Collector

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 10:23:29 PM »
Not a builder heard of much, these days.

Had a rifle, some years back ,with most of the same features, signed S. L.-C.  Deep and rather boldly, I might add.  It had a very definite 'dash' between the last two (2) upper case letters.

A mixture of plain and a touch of fancy: back-action lock with a single square brass escutcheon, poured pewter forend tip, brass mount butt plate and thimbles, coin silver escutcheons with a single pin to hold the barrel, full octagon .440 cal. hand hammered barrel with a long tang (exactly like this one), coin silver front sight and a beautiful curly ash half- stock.

Notwithstanding the fact that I advised that I had picked it up in the Tri-City area and believed it to be a rifle by Samuel Lafayette-Click, TOW represented it, without even a mention of O'l Samuel, as a NY or possibly OH rifle... and after pleading every week to lower the price and with great effort on their part, managed to sell a nice, but not fancy rifle, for peanuts.    Apparently, Samuel should have built a curly maple full stock and not used a back-action lock.  The signed barrel and attribution are also meaningless features.  It's surprising what you learn, if you manage to live long enough.

But I digress.  This is the first and only rifle, with an attribution to Samuel Lafayette-Click, that I've seen since.  Didn't have a digital camera at the time and never thought to take any 35MM, of mine, at the time.  

Thanks for bringing this one into the light of day.

Offline MGillman

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 02:27:53 AM »
Two books by Betsy K. White talk of Click and John Whiteside. They are "Backcountry Makers" and " Great Road Style" I have them because I collect regional Southwest Virginia furniture.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 07:30:51 PM »
For those who do not have a copy of "Foxfire 5", I thought you might find this interesting:  Regarding Samuel Lafayette Click. "He moved up and down the north Holston River. Practically all big farms had a blacksmith shop. He would go and do all their blacksmithing and board with them---stay there maybe a month and usually make them a gun. The quality of the gun reflected the financial background of the people that had it made. He made some real fancy guns, and he did a lot of rework--restocking. I can spot his stocks. He was noted as a hard drinker, and an old timer told me, 'You know, he ruined nearly all the rail fences in Scott County.' "I said, 'What do you mean?" "He says, 'Well, he'd always go to Gate City, Virginia, and get drunk on Saturday and come back and get tired and lay down in the middle of the road and build him a fire and burn up the rail fences in the process. And what's more, he carried two conventional Army Colts pistol's, and if people came by in a wagon and kicked the fire out of the road because their stock was afraid to pass the fire, he'd come up shooting, and they were afraid of him. So, they'd tear down a piece of rail fence to go around him.' They had rail fences on both sides of the road. Now that's true. I don't think that's a tall tale at all.
Joel Hall

pookiebear

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 06:39:56 AM »
I am a great great granddaughter of Samuel Lafayette Click and was wondering if you had any other info of him you would be willing to share. I am just now learning of my Click/Cleek heritage. thank you, Carol Tate Hopkins.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 01:29:38 PM »
Hello Carol and welcome to the ALR forum! It is very nice to hear from a family member of one of these old gunsmiths! When it comes to Samuel Lafayette Click, all of the information that I know of is contained within this very thread that you are reading. From here I would suggest that you find copies of the books that are mentioned here-in.  The "Foxfire 5"  and the two books by Betsy K. White; "Backcountry Makers" and "Great Road Style".  I suggest that you contact the posters from this forum through private messages and pick their brains for anything regarding SLC.  I have the Foxfire book and would be more than happy to send you a copy from the chapter containing his info.  Carol, if you would be so kind as to keep us here on the forum up to snuff with anything you may find down the road that's new about your great great grandfather!   All the best and good luck with your quest..........Joel
Joel Hall

Sallie Hurt

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 03:10:39 AM »
Carol,  I have a signed rifle by S. L. Click.  I also have a picture of him and his wife (second, I think) and right much genealogy, if I can put my hands on it.  I will be glad to share all of it with you.  Just let me know.

Also, if anyone can tell me how to display a photo, I will appreciate it!

THANKS

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 03:48:55 PM »
Hi Sallie and welcome the the ALR forums. Here is a tutorial on how to post pictures here on this site. If you have any problems I would be happy to post your pictures for you.  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=10.0
Joel Hall

I Click Crawford Rutledge

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2016, 07:50:57 PM »
Hello and thank you for adding me. My name is Imojean Crawford Rutledge.  Samuel Lafayette Click was my Great Grandfather. His daughter Emma Click Crawford  was my grandmother. The Clicks used to have a reunion on the third Saturday in June of every year until the death of JD Click, who was very instrumental in hosting and planning the event. The reunion was a great event every year with people from all over the world. The first reunion was held at the Eastman Shelter and the rest of the reunions were held at Sullivan South High School on Moreland Drive.  JD Click had (I say had, I don't know who has it now since JD's death)  a Gun made by Samuel Lafayette Click and one of my cousins (Gary  Crawford), has a gun made by Samuel Lafayette Click..they would display for all to see. I have pics of Samuel Lafayette Click's guns  and his wife who was a full blooded Cherokee Indian. The Clicks have a five hundred  fifteen page book. The Cleek/Click Descendants of Mathias Early Southwest Virginia Pioneer and Settler.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2016, 08:52:01 PM »
Looks to me like Mr Samuel Lafayette Click has suddenly emerged from obscurity. Joel, that is one handsome rifle and the craftsmanship shines. I am looking forward to learning more of him and, particularly, seeing more of his work.

My hardy welcome to the descendants of this accomplished gentleman.

Cheers

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2016, 09:59:27 PM »
I love it when this happens.  I sure hope she can flesh out the story for us.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2017, 05:16:19 PM »
I have found a Click rifle and I should have it in my hands in a couple of weeks.  I will post photos then.  It is signed S.L.C on the barrel.  It is iron mounted.

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2017, 07:14:46 PM »
I look forward to seeing the photos. I sold mine last February. It was a re-stock with a back action lock, a 40 inch 40 caliber SLC marked barrel, iron guard and buttplate. Iron thimbles and pewter nose cap. Half stock. Wood under-rib. I’ll look for photos. It was a very generic gun with a short spear point tang. I bought it in Norris at the Tennessee Rifle show in 2011.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2017, 10:13:16 PM »
The one I'm getting is an iron mounted half stock with a very nice curly maple stock.  The metal is in rough condition though.  It should be here Saturday. 

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2017, 09:58:13 PM »
I tried to post some photos of my Click rifle but this forum evidently doesn't recognize JPEG files.  Seems odd.

Here are the photos. Dennis

« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 06:11:09 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline FDR

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2017, 10:59:15 PM »
Here are the directions on how to post photos:

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=43575.0

Fred

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2017, 04:05:08 PM »
I did all that and it would not allow my JPG file when I dragged it into the box.  It states that it is an invalid file
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 04:07:34 PM by cshirsch »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2017, 09:23:24 PM »
email me the file and I will post it for you or find out what is causing the problem.
Dennis
tdg23113 at verizon.net
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2017, 10:10:19 PM »
Thanks, Dana Bailinger said he would post them also.