Author Topic: Jig For Threading Horn Tips & Horns  (Read 11369 times)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Jig For Threading Horn Tips & Horns
« on: October 19, 2011, 09:45:26 PM »
   I checked and I cannot find were I ever posted this, so here it is, it may be common knowledge in the horn world.
 It is a little jig to help guide the die while threading horn tips and to put external threads on horns. It can be made from either a ½-13 bolt and a 5/16-18 bolt or a 5/8ths-11 and a 5/16-18. I have them made up in 4 different configurations and use different ones based on the size of the horn/tip and style of horn, the two above and 1/2-13 with a ¼-20 and 5/8-11 with a ¼-20.
 I am going to talk ½-13 with 5/16-18 here. Start by cutting the heads off both bolts, next cut the ½” to about 1 ¼” long and the 5/16 to about ¾”. Put the 5/8s in a chuck and drill for a 5/16-18 tap.  Drill in about ½” then tap, leave it in the chuck and put the tap in the Jacobs chuck and start it by hand, once started put the tap in a tap wrench and finish it off, lube, lube, lube. Try the 15/16 in it, you only need about 3/8 to ½” sticking out.
 To use it, drill  the tip, ¼”, put it on a Pen mandrel  and rough turn it, leave it as large as possible, turn the step where the threads will be, make it longer than you need and taper it slightly so the die will start easier. Take the tip off the mandrel and tap with the 15/16-18, since the hole is only 1/4” you will have to counter bore about 3/4”, be careful, lube, don’t force it or it will crack.  Screw the jig into it and start a ½-13 die on the bolt, use lube, turn the die down and if you tapered the step enough it(die) should start cutting, Lube, put the die in a vice and using a pipe wrench turn the tip down into it. Go slow, ½ to ¾ turn, back off and repeat until the die bottoms out. Slowly unscrew the tip and jig from the die, clean out the die, turn it over and repeat, it should turn down about one full turn more.
  Screw a nut on to it a couple of times, it will burnish the threads some. File it to length and round over the upper threads so it will start easier. If you have you horn threaded try it and see what you’ve got, don’t force it. If it does not screw all the way down put it back on the mandrel and with a parting tool make a shallow cut at the end of the threads where the step is. Take a counter sink and open up the hole in the horn just a little, do it with counter sink between your fingers. Try it again and if necessary put it back on the mandrel and take a little more off, continue until the two pieces fit together with no space. 
 Then back on the lathe and final shape. 

To use it for external threads the procedure is pretty much the same. Drill the spout hole and thread it for whatever jig size you are going to use. Turn, file or use a hole drill to get the threaded area ready, still use a taper. Screw the jig in, lube and thread, turn the die around and run it back down and your done. 

Tim C.           

Note:

The dies need to be either new or have very little if any use on metal, you want them as sharp as possible.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 01:00:49 AM by Tim Crosby »

LURCHWV@BJS

Re: Jig For Threading Horn Tips & Horns
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 03:15:12 PM »
Thanx Tim,
  Going to upgrade my lathe today  this has been very useful. Can't wait to try it out

Rich

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 05:42:58 PM »
Great tutorial Tim.  That's a thing I wanted to try this winter, and now thanks to you I know how to start.
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

Offline LynnC

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 06:49:09 PM »
Excellent Info.  I do recall you posting something similar quite a while back.

Question - What kind of lube is best?

Thanks,
Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 07:41:20 PM »

Question - What kind of lube is best?

Thanks,
Lynn

I like Dr. Jackson’s Hide Rejuvenator (Tandy). No special reason just had some here in the shop and gave it a try. Others use vegetable oils, I have never tried them. It is also great for your hands.

Tim C.

Offline B. Hey

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 08:01:24 PM »
Hey Tim .. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Very helpful indeed. I'm wondering if this thread could be taked in the Tutorial area? Take care .. Bill

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 08:55:19 PM »
Tim,
Thanks. Those are like the ones Art used in the horn-making class at Conner Prairie.  I made a couple of sizes when I got home. They really work.
Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 11:21:36 PM »
Hey Tim .. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Very helpful indeed. I'm wondering if this thread could be taked in the Tutorial area? Take care .. Bill

Your welcome. Sure, I'll move it over.

Tim C.

Offline LynnC

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 05:40:02 AM »
Thanks for the tip on the cutting (veg) oil  -  I'm gonna have to try makin a screw tip horn......Lynn

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 04:09:52 PM »
Thanks for the tip on the cutting (veg) oil  -  I'm gonna have to try makin a screw tip horn......Lynn

To bad your not closer, there would be no try to it.

Tim C.

Offline LynnC

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 06:18:13 PM »
Thanks Tim  ;)

(Big Sigh)  Got the ability to make the tools,  Got the horns,  Got the equipment.........

Just need the Time.

Then with lots of practice I might turn out something passable  ::)  ;D

I really enjoy reading  about and seeing yalls excellent work!