Author Topic: "A Franco German Jaeger"  (Read 3734 times)

Offline Kermit

"A Franco German Jaeger"
« on: October 29, 2011, 06:30:28 AM »
Nicely done video. 10 minutes with a very nice jaeger. If I live long enough, I may own one someday. 'Twould be good to honor to my Bernese Oberlander ancestors. Anyway, looky here:

"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: "A Franco German Jaeger"
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 04:26:55 PM »
cool, thanks!
Andover, Vermont

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 06:47:01 PM »
I really enjoyed the film showing the rifle and talking about its provenance.  Great rifle in fabulous shape.

But the author doesn't know much about load development.  In his defense, though, it's likely that the bore is not as good as the outside of the barrel, and loading a proper tight combination might have been impossible.  In the jaeger that I built, also a .60 calibre, with a 31" Getz barrel having round grooves, I load a pure lead .595" round ball and a .020" denim patch.  I too use a short starter, and when target shooting, a 3/8" steel rod - a hickory one when hunting.  The rifle loads easily.  My rifle also likes a .590" ball and a .030" denim patch.  There is no difference in the ease of loading.  Also, I use 86 gr. FFg GOEX for my plinking/trail load and 120 gr. for hunting.  With these combinations, I can consistently keep all my shots in a five inch bull offhand at 100 yards.
I know we are looking at an original piece, and nor would I subject it to the kind of loads I use in my recreation.  It is entirely possible that this rifle's original owner also used light loads, and kept his shots close, and his game small.  
It's a nice video, and well worth the look.  And it has spurred me to restore the old jaeger I have in my to-do list.
Thanks Kermit.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 05:05:53 PM »
If your looking for lots of pics of German and some French guns there is a German auction house that maintains all of their closed out auction catalogues online... Everything from hackbuts to modern stuff...

But best of all you can find all kinds of Jaeger's in all states from the plain hunts master and military models to the insanely ornate ones. (today I have been staring at a Markus Zelner Jaeger for the last hour). Also their later auctions feature a zoom in lens. Sometimes I find myself staring at inlay or lock details for hours... especially when there is a lock only for sale and good close ups of both sides... Hope there is no problem posting the link since I use it as a research tool and buying firearms accross the ocean is pretty much prohibitive (cost and regulations) www.hermann-historica.de

FYI the translate to English button is in the upper left corner... 

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 06:31:15 PM »
Very nice old rifle.
Sigh. I probably should stay with the "if you can't say something nice" idea.
But...
The lock is really nice and I was fairly impressed with the video though curious as to why he was having difficulty getting it into full cock. That is until the fool snapped the triggers at 1/2 cock. I !@*%&@ near bit a chunk out of my tea cup.
The repeated tugging on the lock to get full cock engaged may be related to demonstrations of this type.
It is a tribute to the lock maker that the sear or tumbler are not broken, if this guy continues to use the gun one or the other or both surely will be.
In a second look it appears the full cock notch needs some work but this would require closer examination.
I also speculated on what the inside of the bore looks like where he bangs the ball with the iron rod....

The mounts may in reality be Paktong. Prior to the development of German Silver this was a rare metal imported from Asia before it was copied in he 19th century.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine