Author Topic: Any Thoughts On Who Made This Rifle?  (Read 3678 times)

Offline woodsrunner

Any Thoughts On Who Made This Rifle?
« on: October 30, 2011, 12:46:34 AM »
Photos not available, but possibly will come shortly as in a day or so. I'm asking information for my friend, Billy Harkins, who has helped Dennis in his study of Gillespie rifles from Union County, Georgia. Billy is even less "computer literate" than I if that's possible,therefore I'm posting....anyhow here is what he has found in an isolated situation at home in the Mountains of Union County.

The rifle is half-stocked, .40cal caplock, never a flintlock. On the barrel are the initials T F M VI and nothing more. It has solid silver inlays and solid silver trigger guard, thimbles and buttplate. (Solid silver sounds out of place to me!)
The front sight is double dovetailed. The patchbox lid is wooden, but pivots on a metal pin and does not slide as does early Pennsylvania pieces. Billy questions the patchbox being original to the piece, and he's darn sharp about details. Provenance places the piece as being made in Guilford County, N.C. for someone in or for the Seacrest Family. I've gone over Jerry's 4 books on Southern Longrifles, and find no last name starting with an "M" with the initials T.F. Thoughts anyone?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Any Thoughts On Who Made This Rifle?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 02:14:18 AM »
Rich,
If you or Billy will send me photos I will post them. Sounds like an interesting NC rifle.
Dennis
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 08:55:22 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

wivey

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 08:09:02 PM »
Rich and Dennis,
Without photos it is impossible to state a definitive opinion. However, some preliminary thoughts would be this is probably a " Thomas Fletcher Merritt" rifle from Jamestown, Guilford Co. , NC. Please refer to Rifles
#80 and #81 in my new book" North Carolina Schools of Longrifles 1765-1865" that discusses two of T.F. Merritt's rifles. He signed his rifles "TFM" in stamped block letters on the barrel. You usually always find a Roman numeral such as "V1" behind the rear sight in the Jamestown School. He made both flintlock & percussion rifles with numerous German silver inlays.Since the rifle in question has a pivotal wooden patshbox cover, it possilbly was originally flintlock (but maybe not).Refer to Rifles #43, #44,#51 and #57 in my book that have wooden pathchbox covers that are secured to the stock with a screw or metal pin and washer rather than a cover that slides into place.As I point out in the book, this is a distinctive feature or detail that I have seen only in the area of Randolph and Guilford Counties, NC. This unique detail allows the lid to pivot and not be lost.
Also the double dovetailed based frontsight is a recurrent Jamestown School feature.Based on his surviving rifles, Thomas Fletcher Merritt was one of the best gunsmiths in Jamestown.  Bill Ivey

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 08:49:05 PM »
Bill,
I am glad to see that Annette finally taught you how to use the computer. Welcome to this site.  Your knowledge and comments will be appreciated.

I agree that T.F.M. stands for Thomas Fletcher Merritt. He is one of my favorite Jamestown Rifle makers.  I have not seen one of his rifles with a brass or wooden patchbox and look forward to seeing the photos when they are posted.

Michael
C. Michael Briggs

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 08:54:34 PM »
Bill,
Welcome to ALR. Good to have another source for information on NC and other southern guns.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 08:58:16 PM »
Also the double dovetailed based frontsight is a recurrent Jamestown School feature.
Philip Gillespie built at least one rifle with the double based front sight, probably had seen it on rifles built in the Jamestown area.
Dennis

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 04:50:44 AM »
wivey,
Thanks a million for the info! I've passed this on to Billy and he is very appreciative also!