Author Topic: Horn Press  (Read 10910 times)

Offline G. Elsenbeck

Horn Press
« on: October 30, 2011, 08:56:46 PM »
Horners always seem to be in search of the perfect horn, the best technique or the best tool that gets the job done fast and efficient.  The same also holds true for getting pieces of horn 'flat'.  Ideally the best tool is an old cast iron bookbinding press, but ouch if you've priced them used lately.  Sooooo after building one earllier this year I found it was okay for making those flat horns, but was really deficient in getting horn pieces flat without deforming the plates I made of plywood and formica.  After a quick search on the net I found a supplier that will size a couple of 1/4 steel plates for my 'press'.   I cleaned/sanded my existing plates, applied super epoxy and then screwed them using stainless screws to the existing plate.  Spent about of week applying rust brown and in the process gained about 21 pounds of additional weight to help flattening. Works alot better now and the weight really helps applying the pressure.
Not exactly a cast iron bookbinding press (I'm still lookin for one), but this will gets the job done and won't win a beauty contest. 
Gary

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 05:58:01 AM by rich pierce »
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Beaverman

Re: Horn Press
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 09:13:20 PM »
Gary I like the idea of adding the steel plates, care to share the source for those?

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 09:26:08 PM »
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 09:53:21 PM »
Gary; Great looking horn press. It should work on most flat horn projects. AJ
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 11:50:36 PM »
Looks great Gary! I used a much simpler (and uglier) version of what you have there until I found a good heavy book press.
Very nice work and the plus is it's by your hand.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 12:03:20 AM by James Rogers »

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 03:34:44 PM »
 I like it, Good idea.

Tim C.

coutios

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 04:32:01 AM »
 For those living within easy access of Rt 71 and Rt 18 Medina, Ohio exit there is an antique mall on rt18 east of 71.. One of the dealers has 2 book presses sitting on the floor...  Both are pushing $200.00... I have no intrest or reason to gain... Just giving some food for thought...

Regards
Dave

eddillon

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 02:37:32 AM »
Gary,  I signed up for the horner forum this AM.  I have made several horns using bison horn.  Never pressed any horns but would like to experiment.  How do you first soften the horn for pressing or making circular for a round plug?
BTW I am originally from New Hartford.
Ed

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 03:54:02 AM »
Never pressed any horns but would like to experiment.  How do you first soften the horn for pressing or making circular for a round plug?

Ed thanks for your post and I won't hold that against you being from New Hartford as my wife is too.   ;D
Anyway, giving you a quick and easy answer to your 'pressing' question isn't as easy as one would think.  Regarding the horn softening I use veg oil and with use of a candy thermometer I can pretty much keep the temp in the 340-350 degree area.  Now as to how long to cook your horn item pretty much depends on the thickness of the horn.  For sure if you're softening a horn to fit to a base plug, or a sizer, your thickness at the rim should be 1/8, or just less than that.  With that dimension you're only going to 'deep fry' your horn for a few seconds at a time.  I keep any eye on the the little bubbles rising all around the horn and pull the horn.  With a gloved hand I squeeze and if it moves and feels soft enough I put the sizer in and set it aside to dry. 
Now if you're wanting to 'press' a hunk of horn for flat pieces, like making medallions, inlays, etc you'll be entering a whole 'nuther process.  And again, thickness of the pieces will dictate not only how long to 'deep fry', but how often to 'dunk' them to make sure you get a quality 'flat piece' that will stay that way.  If you're trying to press something that is going from 1/8 inch at one end to about 1/4 inch or thicker at the other end you might want to spend some time 'leveling' your pieces to make the process go easier and faster. 
Making them 'round' requires use of a lathe and there should be a couple of articles in the tutorial section to help you in that area.
Now that your head is swimming I better leave now and let this soak in for a bit.
Happy horning.
Gary

Hall rifle

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 10:13:30 PM »
Gary  Really liked your press. Would you mind giving details on the dimensions?  I would like to try building one but am not very good at estimating the size of yours.   Thanks  Leon

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 08:40:22 PM »
Leon, this press I try to keep simple.  It measures 10 1/2 square and 10 1/2 inches high (not including the press screw).  I also use those rubber bumpers and install on the bottom to help with 'grab' to your bench.  If you need some help making let me know.  I would get a Wetzler press screw as it's more beefier than Jorgensens. 

Gary

Hall rifle

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 02:40:21 AM »
Thanks for the info. Another question, across the top is a series or dark circles.  I am assuming those are support rods with a wood cap or are they just different wood?   Thanks again Leon

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 06:37:09 AM »
Leon a pm was sent.

gary