Author Topic: Antler ramrod tip.  (Read 1418 times)

Offline Rt5403

Antler ramrod tip.
« on: July 17, 2022, 02:01:24 AM »
So thinking of doing a little personalized touches to my Jim chambers new England Fowler kit. I am thinking of making a tapered tip for my ramrod out of whitetail antler. Anyone have any adi e or photos of this process? Also I don't have a lathe so any tips would be great.

Offline Daniel Coats

Re: Antler ramrod tip.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2022, 02:07:51 AM »
It's possible to do some rough shaping by hand and then chuck it up in your drill press and use that as a lathe. You'll want to wear a mask or at least a well ventilated area because it stinks to high heaven.
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2022, 04:03:25 PM »
Anything white on a gun looks like caca dooey. You will occasionally find horrific things like that on germanic guns. Black horn would be a better option.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Rt5403

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2022, 05:02:56 PM »
I thought about that and also thought about using buffalo horn.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2022, 05:27:44 PM »
Any kind of horn anything is quite rare on american made guns back in the day. But, we're not "back in the day" anymore either.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline RonT

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2022, 05:34:47 PM »
Here's a couple that I made.  I ground a 3/8" bit to ~5* (wood arrow nock taper) then used a nock tapering tool to taper the ramrod.  Made lots (!) of footed arra's using this method.
Horn is better than antler (see porous White tip), exotic wood good also.
Cheers,
R

Spes Mea in Deo Est

Offline Rt5403

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2022, 08:29:55 PM »
Any kind of horn anything is quite rare on american made guns back in the day. But, we're not "back in the day" anymore either.

Any instances of fowlers having any kind of a top for cleaning jags on originals?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2022, 08:45:33 PM »
Usually a worm on the lower end of the rod. Many times a brass, steel or silver tulip tip on the upper end. occasionally horn.

Offline Rt5403

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2022, 09:21:11 PM »
Usually a worm on the lower end of the rod. Many times a brass, steel or silver tulip tip on the upper end. occasionally horn.

Would a brass Bess tip be more appropriate?

Offline RonT

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2022, 09:51:28 PM »
OK, how about a simple Brass ring?
 Cheers,
R

Spes Mea in Deo Est

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2022, 02:30:34 AM »
I've done several antler-tipped rods and they definitely look different & nice.  I have never used one on a gun when going into the bush but have occasionally taken them to the range.

I carved the basic shape with hand files and a knife.  Next I reduced the tip of the rod and drilled a hole in the antler to fit.  The rest of the shaping was basically done on a two wheel grinder and finished smooth with sandpaper.  I glued them on and normally would carefully pin them.
I made this one for my smoothbore.

Here's one on the third rifle from the left.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.