Author Topic: TC Cherokee  (Read 27954 times)

Offline Standing Bear

TC Cherokee
« on: November 30, 2011, 10:49:32 PM »
Located a Cherokee .45 in pretty good shape.  What is difference between Cherokee and Seneca?  What is average value or the Cherokee?  Thinking ahead for my grandson.
Thx
TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline Standing Bear

Re: TC Cherokee
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 10:59:41 PM »
Ahh ha.  That makes sense. 

Well what do you think a good price ould be on a Cherokee from a pawn shop?
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

William Worth

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 03:55:41 PM »
I picked up a .32 Cherokee for $100 in a gun shop, excellent condition.  But this particular shop undervalues just about all muzzleloaders. 

So I go there a lot.  ;D

straightshooter1

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 04:56:36 PM »
I picked up a .32 several years ago for $125 used. Daughter was 13 then. Since then bought a GM .40 barrel, breech plug from TOW, other TC parts from Tip Curtis and now have a drop in barrel she can use for legal deer hunting. Still have the .32 barrel and she WILL NOT part with it as we have seen on occasion on other gun sites these rifles go for as much as $750. (OUCH!) She knows what she has and will probably pass it on to the new grand daughter who was just born last month.

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 05:59:22 PM »
These were and are neat little rifles and they actually look like a muzzle loader. I used the hammers for these on a percussion pistol lock project for a German shop for a number of years. I had quite a number on hand but used most of them. I had a mould made to copy it and have some of those here if anyone needs one. The original hammers were harder than glass and from time to time would break so I thought a new one would be a good idea.
I will see what I have left and if anyone actually needs one let me know.

Bob Roller

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 07:15:34 PM »
I was going to replace the lock on my Wife's modified Seneca with a leaf spring lock, and I found the mortice almost perfectly matched the Trackofthewolf Hawken lock plate. I had the plate installed, when a replacement Seneca lock arrived in the mail.  This was a couple years ago. It came from the States, not from the Canadian repair/warrantee centre.  Instead of the factory hammer, I used a Bedford County hammer - cute! My daughter shooting it.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 07:17:58 PM by Daryl »

William Worth

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 08:19:04 PM »
Bob Roller:

Check your email.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 08:24:14 PM »
I have four of the Seneca rifles, all in .45, that I have purchased over the past few years.  The prices ranged from $175 to $300 and one I pieced together from parts I bought on e-bay.  I bought them because they are a neat little rifle and because I wanted practice engraving.  I have engraved all the brass on three of them and am working on the fourth.  The stock shape around the lock is a little "clunky" so I have also reshaped and refinished the stocks.  For the price, I find them well made, sturdy, and fun to shoot  So, to answer your question about price, I would think $300 to $400 would not be to much to pay for one in good shape, especially considering the cost of just a lock, a stock blank, and a barrel if you wanted to build a similar rifle.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 03:02:16 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 08:57:28 PM »
For what it's worth,I make a fancy "4 pin" lock that is a direct copy of one from an original Whitworth boy's rifle that I get $375 apiece for.
$400 for a complete little rifle isn't bad. I made a boy's rifle last year but used a more conventional lock and it worked fine. It was a 40 caliber GM barrel and a milled from solid breech. It had semi-creedmoor styling with no rib or rod under the barrel.
I put a new GM barrel in 32 caliber on a Cherokee for a friend and then as a surprise,I made a miniature Creedmoor style folding tang sight that went with the 17A I put on the front of the barrel which I left 32 inches long.
Also altered the barrel key so it can't be pulled all the way out and lost.
I had been curious about a small folding tang sight and this was the gun to make the test with.

Bob Roller

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 09:18:13 PM »
Roundball,
The barrels are both 13/16 but are different lengths. The Seneca is longer at 28" and the Cherokee is 25". They will interchange but the under rib on the Cherokee needs to be shortened for that barrel to work on a Seneca. I think I got that right.
Mark
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 09:18:53 PM by smokinbuck »
Mark

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 05:45:51 AM »
I think that TC built the Cherokee and  Seneca for 'big kids'  because  they have 14in LOP. This can be a stretch  for some of  the grandchildren. I've  both with Seneca 36cal bbls. and they are  great lightweight shooters.
Gene

Daryl

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 07:54:44 PM »
The stock on the one in the picture was shortened to 13" for my wife.  It was, as Gene noted, way too long for most women women or children. I'm sure I took exactly one inch off as I can remember the 'curl' in it and picture the 'piece' - beautiful chunk of wood.  Their only problem is a lack of drop at the comb and heal, a problem with their larger models as well, requiring very high sights.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 03:08:25 AM »
Some pictures of the three Seneca rifles that I have upgraded a little with some engraving.  Without rebuilding the entire stock, there is a limited amount you can do to improve wood to metal fit, etc., but a little engraving never hurts.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 11:27:28 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Daryl

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 03:15:23 AM »
Quite amazing, Dave - looks great.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 03:17:20 AM »
Dave,
Those are beautiful. If you want to keep practicing I can send you one of mine. LOL
Mark
Mark

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 08:17:25 AM »
Mark,

When I stared cutting the TC brass work I found that I would rather try to engrave something a little easier...like tungsten!!  Whatever kind of brass or bronze TC used in their castings, it is the worst stuff I have ever tried to engrave.  It has hard and soft spots and the hard spots are really hard and the soft spots really soft.  It plays $#*! with trying to cut an even line under any circumstances.  Jerry Huddleston thought I was a dope for practicing on TC castings...and he was right.  I was a dope.  So thanks for the offer, but I think I will be practiced out on the TCs by the time I get number four Seneca done.  That will make six, including the two TC .50 cal Hawkins I engraved as well.

Dave C
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

greybeard

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 09:58:07 PM »
Congratulations!! Nice work.  Makes my engraving look like I got mad at it.LOL
     Thank you for posting these great works of art.   Cheers     Bob

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 01:22:15 AM »
Dave,
From what I see the TC materials did not get the best of you. As usual, beautiful work.
Mark
Mark

William Worth

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 02:53:47 PM »
Dave:

Are any of those rifles by chance...for sale...? ::)

I'm not usually much for engraving, but those rifles cause me to lust after them. 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 03:42:01 PM by William Worth »

Offline rudyc

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2011, 04:16:47 PM »
Dave,

Great work, where in the heck do you find the time to do all that work???

rudyc
"It's a good day for something"

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2011, 07:15:14 PM »
William,

These rifles are not for sale but I have engraved a few others for people who liked the idea of embellishing a TC some.  They send me a rifle and I "pretty" it up some and send it back.

Rudyc,

I don't really have the time to do much these days.  This is what I really do for a living and it takes up 99% of my time: 

However, the constant technical demands of "rocket science" make sitting at my work bench and doing a little engraving or goldsmithing or...whatever, very therapeutic.  I try to make room for at least a half an hour a day to either really do bench work of some type or, at least, plan out what I might do next.
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Daryl

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2011, 08:07:00 PM »
MOST interesting, Thanks Dave.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2011, 12:34:13 AM »
Dave,
WOW, that is pretty neat.
Mark
Mark

gunner69

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2013, 09:36:34 AM »
Very, Very old post but Dave are you taking any Seneca "projects" to work on.   I was reading old posts and this one came up.   Fantastic work......

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2013, 09:37:50 PM »
Those are absolutely beautiful little rifles.  A 14" pull is way too long for me; 13" is my max. 
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.